Score: Emerson 2, Emmanuel (Mass.) 1 (OT)
Records: Emerson Lions (1-0) ; Emmanuel (Mass.) Saints (0-1)
Date: Friday, August 31, 2018
Location: Boston, Mass. (Roberto Clemente Field)
The Lead: With three minutes remaining in overtime, it was senior Jess Frost's (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.) 97th minute net that sent the Emerson women's soccer team home with a season opening 2-1 victory over Emmanuel (Mass.) on Friday night in non-conference women's soccer play. The win also counted as the first season opening win for Emerson since 2016.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Frost found the back of the net twice for Emerson with assists credited to sophomore Amanda Benavente (Boca Raton, Fla.) and senior Elizabeth Noble (Long Beach, Calif.).
- Freshman net minder Megan Rose (Danville, Calif.) notched her first collegiate win and made four stops through 97 minutes in between the pipes.
- Paige White tallied the lone Emmanuel (Mass.) goal with Mikayla Guthrie being credited with the helper.
- In goal for the Saints was Lexi Gawron, who took the loss and allowed two goals while coming up with six saves.
- Emerson held the advantage in shots (12-7), while the hosts had a 5-3 edge in corner kicks.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emmanuel was first to break out an offensive funk and jumped ahead to the 1-0 advantage as White tallied the game's first goal on a through ball on the right side.
- The next 12 minutes of the half belonged to Emerson with the visitors controlling the ball and did so by recording two shots on goal by Noble and senior Kira Venturini (Wallingford, Penn.), yet both were saved to hold the score at 1-0.
- Neither Emmanuel nor Emerson found the back of the net through the remainder of the half as the score remained in the Saints favor.
- Emerson was on the attack right out of the half with four shots on goal within the first 12 minutes and eventually caught a break when Benavente found an open Frost to knot the game, 1-all, in the 56th minute.
- The teams each registered four shots on goal within the remaining regulation time, but neither found the net with the score in a 1-1 lock going into overtime.
- Frost collected her second goal of the game with a gem from just outside the box in the 97th minute to send Emerson home with the 2-1 overtime win.
- Emerson gets back onto the field on Sunday, September 2 when they play Regis (Mass.) at 6:00 p.m.
- Emmanuel (Mass.) return to play on Tuesday, September 4 and will host Wentworth at 7:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS