Score: Emerson 63, Messiah 61
Records: Emerson Lions (7-5, 0-0 NEWMAC) ; Messiah (9-3, 0-0 MAC)
Location: Colegio Universitario de San Juan (Puerto Rico)
Date: December 30, 2019
The Lead: The Emerson Women's Basketball team closed out their Puerto Rico trip with a victory over the No. 12 ranked Messiah Falcons behind a team high 19 points from Quinn Madden and a double double by Sam Boyle.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Quinn Madden (Mokena, Ill.): 29 Points, 9 Reebounds, 1 Steal, 1 Assist
Sam Boyle (Scotts Valley, Calif.): 12 Points, 10 Rebounds, 1 Assist, 1 Steal
Natalie Clydesdale (Pittsburgh, Penn.): 10 Points, 6 Rebounds, 2 Assists, 1 Steal
Leah Springer: 17 Points, 13 Rebounds, 2 Assists, 2 Steals
Megan Zimmerman: 12 Points, 12 Rebounds
Brooke Breinich: 12 Points, 4 Rebounds, 1 Steal
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson took the first lead of the game scoring the first two points on a Sam Boyle jump shot. Messiah quickly took a 4 point lead at 8-4 on a Megan Zimmerman layup. The Lions and Falcons traded baskets throughout the quarter, with Messiah holding their four point lead. A Quinn Madden three pointer with two minutes remaining int he first frame cut the lead to one, but the Falcons countered and took a four point lead into the first break.
- The Falcons added one point to their lead, taking an 18-13 lead with just under seven minutes remaining in the second quarter. Emerson cut the lead to one on a Katie Beckmann layup to bring the score to 20-19. Messiah went on a 7-0 run from here, opening up their largest lead to that point at 27-19. Four straight points from Clydesdale and Quinn cut the lead to four heading into halftime for the Lions.
- A pair of layups by Boyle and Clydesdale to open up the second half knotted the score at 27 a piece. Messiah rebounded quickly and took the lead back. The Falcons opened up their biggest lead of the game at 10 points with three minutes remaining in the third quarter on a pair of Jayneisha Davis free throws. The Lions cut the lead by two points, trailing by eight entering the final frame.
- Opening the frame, the Falcons once again brought their lead to ten, before Emerson scored six straight points, capped off by a pair of Rachel Davey (Saratoga, Calif.) free throws, to cut the lead to four. A Pair of free throws for the Falcons brought the lead back to six, but the Lion rallied behind a Boyle layup and a Toner three pointer, cutting the lead to one. After a layup by the falcons, Madden connected on a three pointer with 24 ticks remaining on the clock to knot the score at 55 and send the game to overtime.
- The final frame saw four lead changes, with the Lions taking the first lead on a Davey layup to open the extra period. A three point play from the Falcons gave Messiah the lead back, only for Toner to connect on a jumper to give Emerson the one point lead back. The Lions closed out the Falcons behind four Foultz free throws, giving Emerson the 63-61 victory.
- Emerson gets back in action on January 7th when they travel to take on Framingham State at 6:00pm.