Score: UMASS Boston 62, Emerson 54
Location: Colegio Universitario de San Juan (Puerto Rico)
Date: December 28, 2019
The Lead: The Emerson Women's Basketball team fell to their neighbor from Boston, the UMASS Boston Beacons, in their first game of the Puerto Rico Clasico on Friday afternoon.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Sam Boyle (Scotts Valley, Calif.) - 23 Points, 7 Rebounds, 2 Assists, 2 Blocks
Quinn Madden (Mokena, Ill.) - 9 Points, 7 Rebounds, 2 Assists
Natalie Clydesdale (Pittsburgh, Penn.): 5 Points, 9 Rebounds, 3 Assists
Joie Grassi: 17 Points, 2 Steals, 3 Rebounds, 1 Assists, 1 Block
Tahjai Mazyck: 15 Points, 2 Rebounds, 1 Assist
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The teams started out trading baskets in the opening minutes of the quarter, but a three points by Alecia Quinones gave the Beacons a 12-6 lead just over a minute into the game. Emerson cut the lead to two on a Madden three pointer with five minutes remaining in the frame. The Emerson cut the lead to one on a Rachel Davey (Saratoga, Calif.) layup with eight seconds left in the first half, going into the first break down 21-20.
- Boyle scored five straight points for the Lions to help Emerson take their first lead of the game at 25-24 opening the second quarter. Emerson extended their lead slowly, taking a four point lead multiple times. The Lions went into the halftime break with a 34-30 lead.
- In the third quarter, Emerson and UMASS Boston traded baskets and the lead, with the Lions taking the lead multiple times in the last five minutes, and closing out the quarter with a layup by Boyle to give Emerson the one point lead at 48-47.
- The Beacons opened up the final frame, scoring 9 of the first 11 points to take a 57-50 lead. Emerson cut it to five points with 1:30 remaining in the game behind two Madden free throws, but were unable to complete the comeback, falling 62-54.
- Emerson gets back in action on Monday when they take on Messiah in their second game of the Puerto Rico Clasico at 1:00pm.