Score: Emerson 6, Smith 4 (8 Innings)
Records: Emerson (11-15, 3-7 NEWMAC) ; Smith (6-18, 1-10 NEWMAC)
Pitching Decisions: w: Karagan Knowles (5-5) ; L Makena Wagner (2-3)
Location: Northampton, Mass.
Date: April 12th, 2019.
The Lead: The Emerson Lions Softball Team took on the Smith College Pioneers on Friday, with the Lions emerging victorious in the first game before the second game was called to darkness in the top of the seventh inning with Emerson leading 11-9.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Karagan Knowles earned the victory in relief stirring out three batters while Neely Eddleston pitched 5.1 innings and struck out three batters in the no decision.
- Morgan Mitchell led all players with three RBIs, while Myranda Borque had two for the Lions and Alena Jones had one.
- Eryn Lee hit a home run for the Pioneers, driving in two runs. Makena Wagner also had two RBIs in the game.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson fell behind in the bottom of the first inning on a Lee home run, putting Smith ahead 2-0.
- The score stayed the same, with both pitchers keeping their opposition at bay until the top of the sixth inning.
- Emerson loaded the bases, and a walk by Alena Jones brought home Kallista Leonardos.
- Myranda Borque followed Jones with a single to right field to drive in another run and knot the score at two.
- Morgan Mitchell also singled, bringing home two runs to give the Lions a 4-2 lead.
- Smith tied the game in the bottom half of the inning on a Wagner single to right field that brought home two batters.
- The game stayed knotted and went to extra innings, where Borque and Mitchell both drove in runs to give the Lions an 8-6 lead in the top of the eighth inning. Emerson held and took the game 8-6.
Game 2 was called due to darkness with Emerson leading 11-9 in the top of the seventh inning.
- Emerson travels to take on the Babson beavers on Saturday with a doubleheader starting at 12:00pm.