Score: Johnson & Wales 3, Emerson 0
Records: Emerson Lions (9-8, 1-6 GNAC) ; Johnson & Wales Wildcats (15-8, 4-3 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: March 26th, 2019
The Lead: BOSTON - Despite eight kills from Sam Willinger (Golden Beach, Fla.), the Emerson Lions Men's Volleyball team fell in straight sets to Johnson & Wales on Tuesday night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Willinger paced the lions in kills while Jacob DiTore (Salem, N.H.) had 10 digs.
- Lucas Raagas (Cambridge, Mass.) totaled 15 assists for the Lions.
- Johnson & Wales was paced by Sanjae Holloway who had 12 kills. Ben Sandt had 20 assists in the win.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first set was highly contested, with both teams trading early points to keep the score close.
- Johnson & Wales opened up their biggest lead off the set at 15-10 on a Holloway kill.
- Emerson came back, cutting the lead to one at 18-17.
- Johnson & Wales kept Emerson at bay, winning the set 25-22 on a Holloway kill and taking a 1-0 lead.
- The second set started off the same, with the Lions and Wildcats trading early points. After a Kill by Win Kittivatcharapong (Bangkok, Thailand) cut the lead to one at 8-7, Johnson & wale rattled off ten straight points, extending the lead to 10 at 18-8.
- The Lions were unable to overcome the deficit, and fell 25-10 in the second set.
- Emerson jumped out to an early lead in the third, opening it up to six points on a Kittivatcahrapong service ace at 7-1.
- After the Wildcats cut it to five at 9-4, they rattled off a 7-2 run, knotting the score at 11 a piece.
- The set remained close, with Emerson and Johnson & Wales battling until the end.
- After Johnson & Wales took a 20-18 lead, they closed out the sex on a 5-2 run, winning 25-20 and taking the match 3-0.
- Emerson welcomes Colby-Sawyer to Brown & Plofker Gym on Thursday for the Lions' You Can Play game, where they will search for their second conference win.