Score: MIT 3, Emerson College 1 (25-17, 25-17, 18-25, 25-19)
Records: MIT (16-6); Emerson College (8-5)
Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Rockwell Cage)
The Lead: The Emerson Men's Volleyball Team fell to MIT in four sets, but took their first set from the Engineers since 2015.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Mark Piorkowski (Montclair, N.J.) continued his strong season with 12 kills for the Lions.
- Win Kittivatcharapong (Bangkok, Thailand) paced the Lions in digs and service aces, with 11 and three respectively.
- Lucas Raagas (Cambridge, Mass.) led the Lions with assists on 24 of the 30 Emerson kills.
- Jacob Gasparich led the Engineers with 13 kills and Michael Kulinski had 28 assists.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- MIT opened up the match on a 7-2 run, taking a five point lead.
- The Lions came back strong, cutting the lead to two at 11-9.
- A three point run put MIT back in the lead for good, with an error by Emerson closing out the first set 25-17.
- In the second set, Emerson came out strong and took a 12-10 lead after 22 points.
- MIT turned the set around, going on a 10-3 run and taking the lead back at 20-15.
- The Lions ere unable to overcome the deficit, falling 25-17 in the second set.
- The Lions fell behind early in the third set 3-2, but rallied six straight points to take an 8-3 lead.
- After trading points, a small run by MIT cut the lead to three at 15-12.
- Emerson did not let the Engineers lead again, winning the set on an MIT error, taking their first set from the Cambridge school since 2015.
- In the fourth and final set, the teams traded points and MIT took an 11-10 lead early on.
- The Engineers rallied for a 7-3 run to take an 18-13 lead, and never looked back.
- MIT took the final set 25-19, taking the match 3-1.
- Emerson is back in action tomorrow night as they take on Lesley in non-conference action at Brown & Plofker Gym starting at 7:00pm.