Score: Emerson 3, Eastern Nazarene 0
Records: Emerson Lions (4-1, 0-0 GNAC); Eastern Nazarene Lions (2-4, 0-0 NECC),
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
The Lead: Senior Mark Piorkowski paced all played with 11 kills and 14 total points, leading the Lions past their namesake Eastern Nazarene in straight sets.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Piorkowski added 8 digs and three service aces with his 11 kills.
- Lucas Raagas (Cambridge, Mass.) and Josh Elliot led as passers for Emerson, recording 11 and eight assists respectively.
- Emerson had four players within one dig of eachother, with Elliot leading the way with nine. Piorkowski and Jacob DiTore (Salem, N.H.) each totaled eight.
- Brandon Jenkins was the highest assist getter of the game with 12 for Eastern Nazarene.
- James Hoopes led Eastern Nazarene with four kills.
- Samuel Cueva had eight digs to pace Eastern Nazarene.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the first set, Emerson jumped out to an early 6 point lead at 11-5 behind Piorkowski's three aces.
- The Lions built on their lead, scoring six of the next eight points, leading by 10 at 17-7.
- Eastern Nazarene made a small run, cutting the lead to seven before the Lions closed out the set on a Raagas ace, winning the set 25-16.
- Emerson scored eight of the first nine points in the second set, with the run capped off by a Win Kittivatcharapong ace.
- Emerson only allowed Eastern Nazarene to score six more point in the frame, not losing another point after they led 17-7.
- Piorkowski closed out the set with a kill, finishing with the final score at 25-7.
- The third set was much closer, with neither team leading by more than four the whole set.
- Emerson emerged victorious on an Elliot kill, 25-22 to win the match 3-0.
- Emerson stays in action as they take on the Cardinals of York College of New York tomorrow night at home with the game starting at 7:00pm.