Score: Emerson 3, Dean 0
Records: Emerson Lions (2-1) ; Dean Bulldogs (0-1)
Location: Franklin, Mass. (Pieri Gymnasium)
Date: Thursday, January 31, 2019
The Lead: Senior Mark Piorkowski (Montclair, N.J.) racked up a match-high 12 kills in the Emerson men's volleyball team's first road win of 2019 in a 3-0 sweep over Dean on Thursday night in non conference action.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Piorkowski put up match high numbers as he anchored the Lions with 12 swings while serving up eight aces while senior Win Kittivatcharapong (Bangkok, Thailand) and sophomore Samuel Willinger (Golden Beach, Fla.) each recorded nine kills.
- Sophomore Lucas Raagas (Cambridge, Mass.) handed out a match high 20 assists followed 12 helpers from freshman Josh Elliot (Swedesboro, N.J.) and senior Jacob DiTore (Salem, N.H.) recorded 13 digs.
- Aaron Brody led Dean with four kills and blocked a trio of attacks followed by three assists by Chad Pelletier and eight digs from Holder Decarvlho.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson held onto a score margin of no more than two to open the first stanza before extending its advantage to eight behind a 8-3 spurt capped off by Piorkowski's pair of aces (17-9).
- A Brody kill and Lions attack error helped Dean earn back two points, but Emerson commanded the remainder of the set on an 8-1 run as one of Willinger's nine swings sealed the 25-12 first set win.
- The Lions used a match-high .435 hit percentage in the second set with a mere three errors to easily put away the Bulldogs, who were held hitting a negative .294 to grab the 2-0 lead.
- A 6-0 Emerson streak opened up the third set and maintained a steady lead of seven at 14-7 before Dean narrowed its deficit down to five (15-10).
- The Lions capitalized on a pair of Bulldogs errors in the midst of a 4-1 run to spread its advantage out to eight with the visitors holding the 19-11 lead.
- Despite Dean keeping themselves alive in the closing portion of the third frame, Emerson tacked on to ice the sweep behind Willinger's kill and Bulldogs attack error (25-19).
- Emerson gets back onto the court next Tuesday, February 5 over at Newbury at 7:00 p.m.
- Dean will also be in play on Tuesday when they host Pine Manor at 7:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS