Scoreboard: Endicott 3, Emerson 0 | Boston, Mass. | February 13, 2018
Emerson 3, John Jay 0 | Boston, Mass. | February 17, 2018
Emerson 3, Newbury 0 | Boston, Mass. | February 17, 2018
BOSTON - Winners of their last six consecutive sets, the Emerson men's volleyball team prepares to make their way into Greater North Atlantic Conference (GNAC) action this week. The Lions remain on its home court and will welcome the No. 14 Wentworth Leopards on Thursday at 7:00 p.m. to open conference play. Then on Saturday, the Lions make their way to Franklin, Mass. for a non-conference rematch with Dean at 12:00 p.m.
LOOK BACK ON THE WEEK
- Emerson finished the week going 2-1 through three matches and currently hold an overall record of 6-2.
- After dropping three straight sets to the visiting Endicott Gulls last Tuesday night, the Lions got back in the win column with a pair of sweeps over John Jay and Newbury in tri-match play on Saturday.
- Senior Nick Rusk (Fort Lauderdale, Fl.) powered Emerson to a tri-match sweep last Saturday with a combined 23 kills, 18 digs, three aces and one assist within three matches.
REPRESENTING IN THE GNAC
- Eight games deep, Emerson holds a hit percentage of .216% to go along with 10.79 digs per set, 2.21 aces, 10.46 kills, 1.33 blocks and 9.96 assists.
- The Lions currently have six players on its roster who sit within the top-10 of their respective offensive and defensive categories within the GNAC.
- Leading the Lions on the stat sheet are Rusk, senior Stig Regan (Kailua, Hi.), juniors Mark Piorkowski (Montclair, N.J.) and Win Kittivatcharapong (Bangkok, Thailand), sophomore Carl D'Aguiar (Tujunga, Calif.) and freshman Marcus Cepeda (Sacramento, Calif.).
- Piorkowski comes in second in aces per set (.70), as well as taking fourth in kills per set (2.78) and 10th in hitting percentage (.245%).
- Kittivatcharapong ranks tied for fifth in hitting percentage (.294%) and eighth in kills per set (2.55).
- D'Aguiar has racked up a GNAC-leading 3.33 digs per set and ranks ninth with 80 total digs.
- Rusk takes the seventh spot with a hit percentage of .283% and is third in aces per set (.64), while Regan sits in seventh in blocks per set (.83) and Cepeda rounds out the Lions leaders in fourth with 7.14 assists per set.
REGAN AND RUSK SWEEP LION OF THE WEEK
- For the week of competition ending on February 18, men's volleyball also swept in the Lion of the Week accolades with both Rusk and Regan garnering the honors.
- Regan and Rusk both had impressive weeks on the hardwood and played a contributing factor to the Lions' 2-1 week.
- Through three matches, Rusk registered a whopping 28 kills and 21 digs to go along with six aces, one assist and a pair of blocks.
- Regan, who continues to be a force for the Lions defense, racked up 10 blocks on the week and matched his season high of five in a win over John Jay.
SCOUTING THE LEOPARDS
- Wentworth, who checked in at No. 14 in this week's AVCA Division III National Poll, comes to Brown & Plofker with an overall record of 9-4 and 2-1 in the GNAC.
- The Leopards are coming off a tri-match split this past Saturday that consisted of a 3-0 win over St. Joseph's (L.I.) and a sweep from No. 1 Springfield.
- Before coming to Brown, Wentworth will take on Lasell in a GNAC Championship rematch on Wednesday night.
- In last season's series, the Leopards swept the Lions with the Lions trailing 2-15 in the all-time series.
- The last time Emerson topped Wentworth was back on April 9, 2013 in a five-set 3-2 win in the GNAC Quarterfinal round.
- Wentworth has registered a .252 hit percentage through 13 matches and averages 11.47 kills per set along with 10.82 assists, 2.80 blocks, 1.51 aces and 10.06 digs.
- Jon Roat paces Wentworth with 2.95 kills per set and serves .47 aces per set with Collin Ritter racking up 113 kills and 5.52 assists a set.
- Peter Klembczyk anchors the Leopards with 2.21 digs a set and 93 total digs, while Ollie Oshman has powered out a .457 hit percentage and 1.47 blocks.
SCOUTING THE BULLDOGS
- Dean enters the second meeting with Emerson this season with a record of 4-5 and are 0-1 in NECC play.
- The Bulldogs are currently riding a three-match losing streak with its most recent setback coming in an NECC opening 3-0 sweep to Elms on Tuesday.
- As a team, Dean has produced a .157 hit percentage to go along with 9.00 kills per set, 8.48 assists, .45 blocks, 2.00 aces and 10.00 digs.
- Diondre Gomes, Joel Carmona and Bobby Tetreault all anchor Dean on the stat sheet with Gomes leading the way with 3.70 kills per set, 100 total kills, .26 blocks and .78 aces.
- Carmona has racked 2.03 digs per set with a total of 59 digs and a .210 hit percentage and Tetreault averages 5.52 assists.
- In the first meeting between Emerson and Dean back on February 1, the Lions downed the Bulldogs in three sets in its home opener.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS