Score: Clark 17, Emerson 3
Records: Emerson Lions (2-10 / 0-2 NEWMAC) ; Clark Cougars (6-6 / 2-1 NEWMAC)
Location: Worcester, Mass. (Granger Field)
Date: Saturday, April 6, 2019
The Lead: Freshmen Alex Hrisanthopoulos (Carlsbad, Calif.) and Hunter Gervais (Johnston, R.I.) and senior Jared Brush (Detroit, Mich.) all tallied goals for the Emerson men's lacrosse team in the Lions' 17-3 setback to Clark in a NEWMAC showdown on Saturday afternoon.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Hrisanthopoulos picked up a two point game with a goal and an assist with Brush and Gervais also putting in one goal apiece.
- Hrisanthopoulos finished 5-for-8 in the face-off X and junior Austin DiPietro (Clermont, Fla.) won 5-for-16 in the circle.
- Freshman net minder Malcolm McGrath (Ridgefield, Conn.) shouldered the setback and came away with 12 stops.
- Jack Pierce paced Clark with three points from two goals and an assist while Andrew Hollerbach finished with a goal and two assists and Noah Skole, Tyler Vincent, and Mark Zito all contributed two goals.
- Bobby Philbin came away with 8-for-9 in the face-off circle and scooped up four ground balls for the Cougars.
- Clark goalie Nathan Maselesk posted eight saves within the first 30 minutes in net and Thomas Berzok completed 23:41 minutes and came away with 10 saves.
- Clark won 14-of-24 face offs and scooped up 26 total ground balls, while Emerson won 10-of-24 in the circle and had 24 ground balls.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Clark opened up scoring with the first three minutes of play after Jack Mandraccia fired in the game's first goal followed up by Jacob Brandes goal three minutes later to push the host's lead to 2-0.
- With six minutes on the clock in the first, Hollerbach fed the ball to Jacob Brydon for the 3-0 lead entering the second quarter.
- Emerson a 4-0 deficit after Philbin netted a goal 10 ticks into the second followed by Skole putting in the next two Clark goals to push the Cougars' lead to 6-0.
- Dan Turgeon slipped Clark's seventh goal past McGrath at 6:23 before Gervais rolled in a Cougars turnover at 4:08 for Emerson's first marker of the game with the score at 7-1.
- Right before the first half closed, Clark slipped in one more goal from Vincent to grab the 8-1 lead.
- In the third quarter, Emerson was outscored 5-0 with the first net coming at the 12:57 mark by Hollerbach (9-1) before neither side found the back of the net
- Clark rattled off four more goals in the remaining five minutes of the third to extend the Cougars' advantage up to 11-1.
- Before quarter's end, Emerson faced a 12 goal differential after Pierce put in the Cougars' 13th net.
- It was at the 13:48 mark of the fourth that Wogan snuck in the 14th Clark goal before Emerson got a goal back when Brush put one in on an assist from Hrisanthopoulos (14-2).
- Daniel Caramadre and Wogan added back-to-back nets before Hrisanthopoulos helped himself to a goal for Emerson's third of the day.
- Pierce put in Clark's final goal of the game on the man-up situation as Emerson shouldered the 17-3 setback.
- Emerson plays host to Babson in a NEWMAC clash on Saturday, April 13 at 4:00 p.m.
- Clark travels to Wheaton (Mass.) on the same day for the NEWMAC contest at 1:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS