Score: Emerson 16, Salem State 7
Records: Emerson Lions (2-9) ; Salem State Vikings (3-5)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Rotch Field)
Date: Wednesday, April 3, 2019
The Lead: Senior Jared Brush (Detroit, Mich.) and junior Austin Franklin (New Bedford, Mass.) powered the Emerson lacrosse team with five goals each as the Lions cruised past Salem State, 16-7, in its final non conference contest of 2019 on Wednesday night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Brush registered his five goals on 13 shots (six on goal) with one assist and Franklin tallied his five on nine shots.
- Freshmen Skyler Celotto (Westport, Conn.) and Alex Hrisanthopoulos (Carlsbad, Calif.) each put in two goals and also had goals from sophomore Tim Doyle (San Diego, Calif.) and freshman Hunter Gervais (Johnston, R.I.).
- Freshman Peirce Eldredge (Media, Penn.) dished a team-high three assists while senior Marshall Tate (Taunton, Mass.) and Doyle each had two assists.
- In the face-off circle, junior Austin DiPietro (Clermont, Fla.) won 18-of-25 while scooping a game high 15 ground balls.
- Emerson freshman net minder Malcolm McGrath (Ridgefield, Conn.) picked up the win for the Lions with nine stops on 16 total shots while he allowed seven goals through 60 minutes alongside two caused turnovers and a ground ball pickup.
- Anchoring Salem State with three goals was Kevin Albert, who also had two assists, and Tyler Morris tallied two goals while Dan McLaughlin and Kyle Henry each scored one.
- Henry was also the main face off specialist for Salem State and won 6-of-19 in the X.
- Stephen Balcher and Jack Ganter split time in net for the Vikings with Balcher allowing 10 goals through the first 37 minutes and Ganter finishing the final 22, surrendering six goals.
- Emerson held the heavy advantage in ground balls (31-12), within the face-off circle (18-7) and in shots (44-24) and finished with 18-of-19 successful clears alongside going 3-of-11 with the man-up.
- Salem State had 17-of-20 successful clears while falling short on the man-up opportunity, going 0-for-3.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- A combined eight goals were tallied within the first 15 frame as Emerson tagged Balcher with four goals in the starting five minutes.
- Emerson used the extra man opportunity just a minute and a half into the first quarter to gain the 1-0 lead on Brush's goal at 13:15 that was quickly followed at 12:23 with a second goal from Celotto (2-0).
- Brush fired his second goal past Balcher to give Emerson a comfortable three-goal advantage before going up 4-0 thanks to Hrisanthopoulos' net at 9:52.
- Salem State erased Emerson's four goal with four unanswered goals beginning on back-to-back markers from Albert to bring the Vikings within two (4-2) with 7:38 on the clock.
- The visitors evened up the score over the next minute with a net from Morris and the tying goal at 6:26 by Henry (4-4).
- Franklin put the go-ahead goal in 10:57 of the second quarter to put Emerson back on top (5-4) before McLaughlin and Albert spread two goals through the last 6:16 of the quarter to give Salem State the 6-5 lead going into the half.
- Emerson came out firing in the second half and registered a 7-1 third quarter that saw Franklin rattle off three goals to push the Lions back in front by the score of 12-7.
- The Lions blanked the Vikings in the final 15 minutes, which allowed Brush, Hrisanthopoulos and Franklin to put four goals past Ganter and give the home team the 16-7 victory.
- Emerson makes the trip out to Clark for a Saturday afternoon NEWMAC showdown at 1:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS