Score: UNE 7, Emerson 6
Records: Emerson Lions (0-7) ; University of New England Nor'Easters (4-3)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Rotch Field)
Date: Wednesday, March 20, 2019
The Lead: The Emerson men's lacrosse team went back and forth with the University of New England through 60 minutes until a goal by the visiting Nor'Easters deep into the fourth handed the Lions a 7-6 setback on Wednesday night in non conference action.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Senior Jared Brush (Detroit, Mich.) put in a pair of goals on three shots as four more Lions, including freshman Alex Hrisanthopoulos (Carlsbad, Calif.), sophomore Tim Doyle (San Diego, Calif.) and freshmen Hunter Gervais (Johnston, R.I.) and Skyler Celotto (Westport, Conn.), each netted one goal.
- Junior Austin Franklin (New Bedford, Mass.) handed out two assists and junior Austin DiPietro (Clermont, Fla.) scooped up a team-high seven ground balls and went 11-for-16 in the X.
- In net for the Lions was freshman Malcolm McGrath (Ridgefield, Conn.), who allowed seven goals through 60 minutes and came away with 17 saves on 24 shots.
- Alex Zadworny netted five of UNE's seven goals and saw both Garett Bozek and Zach Bossi tally goals while Bossi also notched one assist.
- Spencer Hokanson won 3-of-7 in the face-off circle followed by Jack Hephner going 1-of-3 and Jared Duffy winning 1-of-6.
- UNE net minder Sam MacKenzie picked up the win with 12 saves whilst allowing six goals on 18 total shots.
- Emerson held the advantage in the X (11-5) and ground balls (23-12), while successfully clearing 19-of-23 clears, while UNE successfully cleared 17-of-19 and notched two man-up goals.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson was able to hold UNE scoreless through the opening 15 minutes and jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead at the end of the first frame.
- At the 11:30 mark, Hrisanthopoulos snuck the game's first goal past MacKenzie to give Emerson the 1-0 lead before Gervais and Brush spread two more goals over the next minute and a half with the Lions up three goals.
- UNE answered in the second quarter with three goals of their own to knot the score at 3-all.
- Zadworny came around from behind the net and tallied the Nor'Easters first goal 39 seconds into the second that was followed by a net from Bozek to bring the visitors within one before Bossi fired in the equalizer at 6:40.
- The score remained in a 3-all lock over the next three minutes until Celotto fired in a pass from Franklin that gave Emerson a one goal 4-3 lead entering the half.
- Emerson and UNE traded off goals starting in the third quarter with Zadworny spreading his two goals through 12:32 and :35 seconds to give the visitors a 5-4 lead before Brush fired in an unassisted net with three ticks on the clock to even the score at 5-5.
- Zadworny put in his fourth goal at 8:32 of the fourth to put UNE in front once again at 6-5 only to see Doyle follow up at 5:14 with the 6-6 equalizer.
- After Doyle put in the game-tying net, the score held at 6-6 before an Emerson penalty proved costly as Zadworny sealed the game with his fifth and final goal at 3:22 on a man-up.
- Emerson stays on its home turf this Saturday, March 23 at 1:00 p.m. hosting Dean.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS