Score: Johnson & Wales 7, Emerson 5
Records: Emerson Lions (0-5) ; Johnson & Wales (RI) Wildcats (1-4)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Rotch Field)
Date: Thursday, March 14, 2019
The Lead: Freshman Skyler Celotto (Westport, Conn.) tallied two goals with three goals scored by a trio of Lions in the Emerson men's lacrosse team's 7-5 slip up down at Johnson & Wales (RI) on Thursday night in non conference play.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Celotto paced Emerson with two goals on 10 total shots (eight on goal) with senior Jared Brush (Detroit, Mich.), junior Austin Franklin (New Bedford, Mass.) and freshman Hunter Gervais (Johnston, R.I.) each scoring one goal as Franklin also dished out one assist.
- Freshman net minder Malcolm McGrath (Ridgefield. Conn.) scooped up a team-high 10 ground balls within 60 minutes and surrendered seven goals alongside 17 stops on 24 total shots.
- Senior Marshall Tate (Taunton, Mass.) and freshman Jack Lewis (Bethlehem, Penn.) each caused a pair of turnovers while junior Austin DiPietro (Clermont, Fla.) won 11-of-16 in the face-off X.
- For Johnson & Wales, Ben Farrell and Erik Lindaas found the back of the net two times each and also had goals from Brad Kretz and Thomas Lyons.
- Bradley Morris picked up nine ground balls with five Wildcats causing one turnover, while Stephen Gregg came away with 5-of-16 in the face-off circle.
- Morris took the win for the Wildcats manning the net for the full 60 minutes and allowed five goals and made 18 stops on 23 total attempts.
- Emerson held the advantage in the face-off circle (11-5), while Johnson & Wales led in shots (44-34) and ground balls (33-31).
- The Lions successfully cleared 14-of-20 attempts while coming up empty handed on the man-up (0-1) and the Wildcats cleared 18-of-20 while going blank on three man-up chances.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- It was quiet on both sides scoring wise in the beginning of the first quarter until Johnson & Wales broke the scoreless game at 10:23 on a net from Lyons to give the hosts a 1-0 lead.
- The Wildcats extended its lead to 3-0 in the following quarter starting with Lindaas' goal at 12:37 and a marker at 6:22 from Gelb before Celotto snuck two in through the final two and a half minutes of the half to put Emerson within two (4-2) at the half.
- It was all Emerson to being the third quarter on two unassisted goals that kicked off with an unassisted goal from Franklin to bring the Lions within one before Brush buried the 4-4 equalizer at 2:29.
- Farrell entered the scoring mix with 1:29 left in the third with a goal that pushed Johnson & Wales back in front at 5-4.
- Lindaas and Farrel spread its final pair of goals through nearly nine and a half minutes of the fourth as Gervais found the back of the net with two ticks on the clock to put the final at 7-5.
- Emerson continues its road trip on Saturday, March 16 up in Maine at St. Joe's (Me.) at 12:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS