Score: Nichols 10, Emerson 5
Records: Emerson Lions (0-4) ; Nichols Bison (2-1)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Rotch Field)
Date: Tuesday, March 12, 2019
The Lead: Freshman Hunter Gervais (Johnston, R.I.) netted two goals for the Emerson men's lacrosse team, but the Lions shouldered home opening 10-5 loss to Nichols in non conference action on Tuesday night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Gervais found the back of the net twice on seven total shots (five on goal) along with three ground balls and one caused turnover, while freshman Peirce Eldredge (Media, Penn.), senior Jared Brush (Detroit, Mich.) and sophomore Stevie Powers (Arlington, Mass.) each netted one goal and junior Austin Franklin (New Bedford, Mass.) dished out three assists.
- Freshman Skyler Celotto (Fairfield, Conn.) scooped up 10 ground balls and sophomore Tim Doyle (San Diego, Calif.) caused a pair of turnovers and junior Austin DiPietro (Clermont, Fla.) won 14-of-18 in the X.
- Starting in net for Emerson was sophomore Calloway Myers (Chico, Calif.) for the first 22 minutes and allowed four goals with three stops and freshman Malcolm McGrath (Ridgefield, Conn.) allowed six goals in the final 37 minutes with six stops.
- Cole Fontana registered three goals for Nichols with Jack Campanale and Brendan Coates each tallied a pair while three netted one apiece.
- Connor Santoni and Coates also handed out two assists, while Brian McKinley scooped up five ground balls, Matt O'Connell caused three turnovers and Will Cruger won 2-of-9 in the face-off X.
- Nichols starter Brian McKinley surrendered five goals through the full 60 in between the pipes and came away with 20 saves on 25 total shots.
- Emerson held the advantage in the face-off circle (14-4) as well as shots (43-30) and went a perfect 12-for-12 on clear attempts while going 0-of-9 when on the man-up.
- Nichols completed 25-of-28 clear attempts and finished going 0-for-3 when on the man-up.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The opening 15 minutes saw Nichols find the back of the net three times on goals from Coates, Wenzel and Campanale to grab the early 3-0 edge over Emerson.
- Nichols took over the second frame and used nearly all of the quarter to tack on four more goals to balloon its lead (7-0) before a goal with one second in the half by Gervais snapped the Bisons' scoring streak to put Emerson on the board, 7-1.
- Emerson dominated the third quarter, finding the back of the net three times, after Fontana put Nichols up 8-1.
- Powers started Emerson's scoring at the 8:20 mark on a pass by Franklin followed by a rocket from Eldredge that sailed past McKinley's head at 2:12 with Gervais tallied an empty netter a minute later to cut the lead in half at 8-4.
- Casey Campanale and Fontana pushed Nichols' advantage up to six in the beginning six minutes of the fourth at 10-6 with the game's final goal coming from Brush at 8:28 to put the final at 10-6.
- Emerson heads out on the road for a non conference tilt out at Johnson & Wales (R.I.) on Thursday, March 14 at 7:00 p.m.
- Nichols will also be in action on Thursday night when it hosts Anna Maria at 7:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS