Score: Wentworth 16, Emerson 4
Records: Emerson Lions (0-1) ; Wentworth Leopards (2-0)
Location: Boston, Mass.
Date: Wednesday, February 28, 2019
The Lead: Freshman Skyler Celotto (Fairfield, Conn.) picked up a pair of goals in his collegiate debut as the Emerson men's lacrosse team opened its 2019 campaign shouldering a 16-4 setback to Wentworth on Wednesday afternoon.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Celotto netted two goals for Emerson with the Lions' other pair of nets coming from freshman Hunter Gervais (Johnston, R.I.) and sophomore Tim Doyle (San Diego, Calif.).
- Senior Marshall Tate (Taunton, Mass.) and freshman Alex Hrisanthopoulos (Carlsbad, Calif.) each dished out one assist apiece, while Hrisanthopolous won 12-of-17 in the X along and scooped nine ground balls with junior Austin DiPietro (Clermont, Fla.) winning 4-of-7 in the face-off circle.
- Making his collegiate debut in between the pipes was sophomore Calloway Myers (Chico, Calif.), who started the first half with nine stops and freshman Malcolm McGrath (Ridgefield, Conn.) making nine second-half saves.
- Kyle Doner and Nick Gore tallied four goal apiece while Doner assisted on three others and Gore recorded two assists.
- Randy Ryan picked up the win for Wentworth with 18 saves.
- Wentworth held the advantages in shots (41-34) and ground balls (41-32).
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Wentworth opened the first frame with two scores from Gore and Doner just 1:23 apart to give the hosts a 2-0 lead with 9:38 left before Celotto put Emerson on the board at the 6:57 mark.
- Gore, Doner and Erik Madden answered with three unanswered goals as the Leopards' lead extended their lead to 5-1 after the first 15 minutes of play.
- 10 seconds into the second quarter, Emerson found themselves in a 7-1 deficit after nets by Jacob Eldred and Ben Coakley until Celotto and Gervais found the back of the net within nine seconds of each other to inch the Lions within four at 7-3.
- The Leopards pulled ahead by six on Doner and Gore's goals separated by 1:03 and the Lions entered the half down 9-3.
- Emerson surrendered an 8-0 Wentworth run in the third and fourth, started off by Doner's goal, to see its deficit reach double figures at 15-3 with 9:02 on the clock in regulation.
- Five different Leopards scored in the third and outscored the Lions, 5-0.
- Doyle snapped Wentworth's scoring streak at 6:32 of the fourth before Andrew DiPalma picked up a goal with 1:25 left to round out the scoring.
- Emerson travels cross country to California to begin its spring break games at Whittier on Monday, March 4 at 9:30 p.m.
- Wentworth goes to Oneonta on Saturday, March 2.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS
- Stay updated with the Emerson men's lacrosse team and follow the Lions on Twitter and Facebook at Emerson Men's Lacrosse, as well as Emerson Athletics on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. Also be sure to tune into Emerson Channel Sports to catch the Lions action!