Score: Clark 82, Emerson 73
Records: Emerson Lions (8-45 1-1 NEWMAC) ; Clark Cougars (7-6, 2-0 NEWMAC)
Location: Worcester, Mass. (Kneller Athletic Center)
Date: Saturday, January 11, 2020
The Lead: Despite four double digit showings on the stat sheet, it was not enough for the Emerson men's basketball team as the Lions shouldered its first NEWMAC setback at Clark, 82-73, on Saturday afternoon at Kneller Athletic Center.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Points: Biko Gayman (26), Tyler Davern (13) & Joel Artega (12)
Assists: Gayman (4)
Rebounds: Antonio Lapeyrolerie (7)
Steals: Gayman (3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson and Clark exchanged leads all throughout the opening eight minutes of the first frame before the Cougars outscored the Lions 15-5 to gain a 10-point advantage on a layup by Anthony Grzembski (29-19).
- The Lions responded to the Cougars spurt and blanked the home team during the 10-0 run that was capped by O'Connor's three-point bucket, which pushed the visitors ahead by a pair with 4:46 remaining in the stanza (31-31).
- After regaining the lead behind Gayman's triple, Clark held Emerson to a mere one point through the remainder of the half as the Lions entered the half trailing by five, 39-34.
- Emerson continued to play catchup through much of the second half until the Lions caught an offensive break and saw its next three baskets fall through to pull within two of the Cougars (59-56).
- The Lions' two-point deficit at the 9:47 mark was the closest they would threaten and were unable to play catch up with the Cougars as the home team extended its lead back into double figures at 4:35 on a trey from Zachary Mittelstadt (70-60).
- O'Connor sent up a last second layup at the buzzer, yet it was not enough for the Lions as the visitors shouldered the 82-73 road NEWMAC setback.
- Emerson continues road NEWMAC play on Wednesday, January 15 over at local foe, MIT, at 7:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS