Score: Emerson 94, Coast Guard 75
Records: Emerson Lions (8-4, 1-0 NEWMAC) ; Coast Guard Bears (5-6, 0-1 NEWMAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Wednesday, January 8, 2020
The Lead: The Emerson men's basketball received help from all sides and saw six Lions register double figures in the score column to help the home team to a NEWMAC opening 94-75 victory over Coast Guard on Wednesday afternoon.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Points: Jack O'Connor (28), Jarred Houston (16), James Beckwith (15), Zach Waterhouse (11), Trevor McLean & Max Davis (10)
Assists: McLean & Houston (6)
Rebounds: O'Connor (13)
Steals: Waterhouse (3)
Blocks: Houston (5)
Points: Noah Baldez (23), Packy Witkowski & Tyler Perez (11)
Assists: Baldez (7)
Rebounds: Baldez (12)
Steals: Jason Frazer, Garrett Drummond & Perez (1)
Blocks: Witkowski & Perez (1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson used its strength beyond the arc as Waterhouse, O'Connor & Beckwith drained three triples to give themselves an 11-point cushion at the 16:51 mark (15-4).
- Strong defensive stops by the Lions kept Coast Guard off the boards, which allowed the hosts to capitalize on its end with a 10-3 run as the lead margin was bumped up to 18 (25-7).
- The hosts lifted its extensive lead into the 20s at the 8:55 mark of the opening half on Waterhouse's jumper (37-16) and was able to comfortably maintain a 20+ cushion as Beckwith dropped a last second basket with the score at 56-35 at the half.
- After a slow first half, Coast Guard's offense picked up the pace to start off the second half when Cox drained a triple right out the gate 11 seconds into play.
- With a 16 point lead over the Bears at the 12:40 mark of the frame, the visitors recorded a 15-6 spurt to diminish the Lions' lead all the way down into single digits at seven on Witkowski's shot from downtown (75-68).
- Coast Guard stayed right on the backs of Emerson and kept within single digits over the next several minutes before the Lions' offense sparked life and answered on an 8-0 streak capped off by O'Connor's slam dunk at 2:56 with the hosts back up by 17 (87-70).
- The Lions coasted through the remaining three minutes of regulation as O'Connor iced the 22-point win with a jumper as the final stood at 94-72.
- Emerson hits the road for a NEWMAC tilt out in Worcester against Clark on Saturday, January 11 at 1:00 p.m.
- Coast Guard will also be in road NEWMAC action on Saturday as the Bears trek to MIT for a 2:00 p.m. tip-off.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS