Score: Tufts 103, Emerson 82
Records: Emerson Lions (2-1) ; Tufts Jumbos (1-0)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Saturday, November 16, 2019
The Lead: Senior Jack O'Connor (Newport, R.I.) and sophomore Zach Waterhouse (Hampton, N.H.) dished 15 points apiece, but was not enough as the Emerson men's basketball slipped in its first setback of 2019 in a 103-82 loss on Saturday afternoon.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Points: Eric Savage (27), Luke Rogers (21), Brennan Morris (20) and Carson Cohen (15)
Assists: Cohen (6)
Rebounds: Rogers (12) & Morris (11)
Steals: Cohen (2)
Blocks: Savage (2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Cohen's triple and back to back Jumbos treys allowed Tufts to build a quick 8-2 lead and maintained a lead of at least eight through the opening 10 minutes of the half.
- A pair of O'Connor free throws brought Emerson within four (21-17) and were able to dwindle the score margin down to two thanks to a lay-up from Waterhouse at 7:46 (25-23).
- Tufts pushed its lead back up to five when Savage drew an and-one (28-23), but O'Connor followed up going four-for-four at the foul line to put the score at 28-27 at 6:42.
- Savage answered with a three to lift Tufts' lead back to three before sophomore Chad DiCenzo (Andover, Mass.) cashed in a layup with the and-one and leveled the game at 30-all with just over five minutes to go in the first.
- Waterhouse pulled Emerson back to a one point deficit, which was the closest the hosts would come to Tufts in the remaining three minutes of the half as the score held at 49-42.
- Tufts busted out a 7-2 spurt to being the second half to give themselves a 12-point cushion (56-44) and maintained it until 14:39 when a 5-0 run inched Emerson to a six-point deficit on a Waterhouse jumper (60-54).
- Emerson began to erase Tufts' lengthy 14 point cushion that was kickstarted by a Waterhouse bucket and ended with sophomore Jarred Houston () taking a trip to the charity stripe with the score now at (73-67) at the 7:44 mark.
- Seven was the closest Emerson would come to the visitors for the Tufts offense overpowered the Lions and would go on to seal the 103-82 win.
- Emerson treks to Brandeis for the start of a three-game road trip on Monday, November 18 at 7:00 p.m.
- Tufts opens its home schedule on Tuesday, November 19 hosting Mass.-Dartmouth at 7:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS