Score: Emerson 99, Gordon 79
Records: Emerson Lions (2-0) ; Gordon Fighting Scots (0-1)
Location: Norton, Mass. (Bennett Center)
Date: Tuesday, November 12, 2019
The Lead: It was another dominating win by the Emerson men's basketball team thanks to a 25 point and 13 rebound showing by senior Jack O'Connor (Newport, R.I.) followed by three more double figure efforts to lead the Lions to a 99-79 victory at Gordon on Tuesday night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Points: O'Connor (25), Zach Waterhouse (24), Nate Martin (16) & Jarred Houston (15)
Assists: Chad DiCenzo (5)
Rebounds: O'Connor (13)
Steals: James Beckwith (2)
Blocks: Waterhouse, Martin, Ben Holding & Houston (1)
Points: Eric Demers (24), Parker Omslaer (18) & Aljernod Terry (13)
Assists: Garrett Sattazahn (4)
Rebounds: Omslaer (9)
Steals: Avelino Samoura (1)
Blocks: Omslaer (3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson and Gordon traded off baskets to begin the opening half before the Scots broke open to a six-point advantage after Demers' trip to the free throw line and Terry's triple (12-6).
- O'Connor answered with a three at the other end to quickly cut the into the lead down to three at 12-9.
- With five minutes remaining in the half, the hosts gained its largest lead when gritty play led to two offensive rebounds by Zachary Bennett and a pair of free throws to push the Fighting Scots lead to 34-27.
- Waterhouse sank back-to-back threes to push the Lions to its first lead of the game, but was short lived as Demers' finished a layup to give the Fighting Scots the 43-42 the edge entering halftime.
- Emerson came out of the second half with a six point run that was cut short by Sattazhan's three-point bucket to shrink the Lions' advantage down to three (56-53).
- The visitors were able to maintain a slight lead over Gordon after a trey from Demers pulled the hosts within one, yet were able to extend its lead to a comfortable nine points (73-62) behind a 10-point spurt.
- Omslaer put up a free throw and brought Gordon to an eight point deficit, which was the closest the hosts would come to Emerson.
- Martin gave Emerson its biggest lead of the game at 24 after a successful charity stripe trip and would go on to take the 99-79 victory.
- Emerson comes back to its home court on Saturday, November 16 to host Tufts at 1:00 p.m.
- Gordon takes a week hiatus before heading off to Lesley on Tuesday, November 19 at 7:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS