Score: Emerson 95, Springfield 93
Records: Emerson Lions (11-10, 6-4 NEWMAC) ; Springfield Pride (7-14, 4-6 NEWMAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Saturday, February 2nd, 2019
The Lead: Geoffrey Gray (Newton, Mass.) led the Lions with 25 points take down the Springfield Pride in double overtime, 95-93.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Gray was tied for the second leading scorer in the game with Jake Ross of Springfield totaling 32 points.
- Cam Earle had 25 points for the Pride, while Zach Waterhouse (Hampton, N.H.) totaled 20 for Emerson.
- Jarred Houston (Norwood, Mass.) recorded a double double with 13 points and 13 rebounds, adding six assists.
- Jack O'Connor (Newport, R.I) had 18 points while Nate Martin scored 14 off the bench for the Lions, connecting on 66% of his attempts from the floor.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The game was tight throughout the first half, with Emerson holding the largest lead of 7, provided by a Waterhouse three with 11:46 remaining, bringing the score to 24-17.
- Ten minutes later, Springfield tied the game on an Earle three pointer to bring the score to 40 a piece.
- Emerson closed the first half on an 8-2 run, behind three pointers by O'Connor and Martin, leading 48-42 at the break.
- The Lions kept their lead to start the second half, with Emerson extending it by a point at 58-51 with 13:04 remaining.
- Springfield went on a 9-2 run, capped off by a Ross free throw with 7:40 remaining to know the score at 60.
- The Pride continuing to fight, with Emerson holding their lead until the last minute when Ross tied the score at 75 with two free throws.
- Gray's jumped from the elbow fell short and the game headed to overtime knotted at 75.
- In the first overtime period, Emerson built a three point lead on a Martin jumped with 39 ticks on the clock remaining.
- Springfield pulled two back before Gray connected on two shots from the charity stripe, bringing the lead back to three with 27 seconds remaining.
- After a Ross three pointer clanked the rim, Heath Post grabbed a rebound and kicked the ball out to Earle, who launched from close to midcourt, connecting as time expired to bring the game to a second overtime at 87 a piece.
- The Lions built a four point lead, before Springfield cut it to three.
- Post was sent to the free throw line with three ticks remaining. He connected on the first shot, bringing the score within two. After intentionally missing the second shot, Cam Earle's jumped from the baseline missed as time expired, giving Emerson the win at 95-93.
- Emerson travels to take on the Clark University Cougars on Wednesday, with a game starting at 7:00pm.
- Springfield returns home on Wednesday to take on the Wheaton (Mass.) Lyons with a game starting at 7:00pm.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS