Score: Babson 11, Emerson 1
Records: Emerson Lions (7-25, 2-13 NEWMAC)) ; No. 10/10 Babson Beavers (25-4, 13-2 NEWMAC)
Pitching Decision: WP: Michael Genaro (5-1) | LP: Sam Knox (1-6)
Location: Danvers, Mass. (Pete Frates Diamond)
Date: Friday, April 19, 2019
The Lead: Freshman Louie Davolio (Worcester, Mass.) cranked his first career homer over the right field fence in the Emerson baseball team's 11-1 setback to the No. 10/10 Babson Beavers on Friday afternoon in NEWMAC play.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Pitching: Knox - 5.0 innings, six hits, five runs, two walks, three strikeouts
Nick Rempe - 2.1 innings, two hits, three runs, two walks, two strikeouts
Bryan Simmons-Hayes - .2 innings, two runs
Rory Tettemer - 1.0 innings, one hit, one run, one walk, one strikeout
Brian McHale: 2-for-6, double, one run scored, stolen base, two RBIs
Alex DiMartino: 2-for-3, double, one run scored
Eric Jaun: 1-for-3, triple, three runs scored, stolen base, two RBIs
Matthew Valente: two RBIs
Sean Burychka: 1-for-2, two RBIs
Pitching: Genaro - 7.0 innings, eight hits, zero runs, four strikeouts
Jack Theriault - 1.0 innings, one hit, one run, one walk
Hunter Salem - 1.0 innings, one walk, one strikeout
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both sides were held off the board within the first two frames until Emerson faced a 1-0 deficit on a two-out sacrifice fly by Sean Harrington in the third inning.
- In the top half of the fourth, Babson plated another pair of runs behind McHale's two-out, two-run single to push the Beavers lead to 3-0.
- Emerson gained its biggest opportunity to gain ground on Babson within the home half of the fourth when they got to Gerano for three singles to load up the bases with two outs, but were unable to plate as the inning wrapped on a fly ball to right.
- The next pair of Babson runs came across when Jaun smacked a triple to bring home Harrington with one out and came around when Valente reached on an error (5-0).
- Emerson's deficit stretched into double figures after Babson spread five runs through the seventh and eight frame before finally getting onto the board thanks to Davolio's first collegiate homer that landed over the right field fence (10-1).
- Aidan Scott brought in Jack Ward, who doubled in begin the ninth inning, with the Beavers' final run and sealed Emerson's 11-1 setback.
- Emerson and Babson will continue its scheduled doubleheader next Saturday, April 27 at Babson Park starting at 12 & 3 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS