Score: Emerson 7, Clark 6
Records: Emerson Lions (6-23 / 2-9 NEWMAC) ; Clark Cougars (12-18, 4-10 NEWMAC)
Pitching Decision: WP: Sam Knox (1-5) | LP: Cam Smith (0-1)
Location: Danvers, Mass. (Pete Frates Diamond)
Date: Wednesday, April 16, 2019
The Lead: The Emerson baseball team played comeback ball by spreading six of its seven runs within the final three frames and used junior Joe Paladino's (Bedminster, N.J.) line drive single into center in the bottom of the ninth to walk-off with the 7-6 win over Clark on Wednesday afternoon in NEWMAC play.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Louie Davolio: 2-for-4, triple, one run scored
Ryan McCahan: 1-for-4, two RBIs
Ethan Young: 2-for-3, one run scored, one RBI
Josh Cohen, Paladino & Calvin Jacey: one RBI
Pitching: Tim Mainella - 8.1 innings, seven hits, six runs (five earned), four walks, five strikeouts
Knox - .2 innings
Andrew Thibault: 1-for-4, two RBIs
Chris Radovic: 1-for-2, two runs scored, one RBI
Pitching: Dan Shaw - 6.2 innings, five hits, three runs, six walks, nine strikeouts
Sean Savage - 1.1 innings, three hits, four runs (three earned), one walk, one strikeout
Smith- .2 innnings, one strikeout
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Clark used back-to-back singles from Zach Kelley and Thibault in the top half of the first inning to quickly put Emerson in a three-run deficit.
- Emerson cut the margin down to two (3-1) when freshman Josh Cohen (Corte Madera, Calif.) snuck an RBI single through the left side to plate Paladino in the home half of the second.
- The Lions threatened for more with the bases juiced and two outs, but Shaw escaped the inning with a strikeout.
- Mainella and the Lions defense held the score at 3-1 for the next three innings before Clark pushed two runs across behind a miscue at second followed by Radovic cracking a homer into center (5-1).
- It was in the later half of the game where Emerson's bat sparked and started to erase Clark's four-run advantage in the seventh inning.
- Emerson began its comeback in the seventh and did damage with two outs as McCahan singled in a pair of runs to inch the Lions within a pair (5-3).
- The Lions took advantage of a costly error at third to start off an eventful eighth frame and had a grounder to short by freshman Calvin Jacey (Mystic, Conn.) bring in freshman Quinton Copeland (Houston, Texas) for the fourth run (5-4).
- With the hosts within striking distance, Young batted a timely infield single to drive in senior CJ Rogers (Guilford, Conn.) for the tying run and the score now knotted at 5-all.
- Clark added the go-ahead run in the top of the ninth behind another Lions miscue and threatened for more as Knox relieved Mainella with two runners on and one out, but Knox escaped the inning unscathed by getting an inning-ending double play.
- Davolio roped a triple down the right field line to begin Emerson's ninth and easily crossed the tying run on Savage's wild pitch that hit home plate (6-6).
- McCahan and Copeland each reached on a walk and single, respectively, before Smith sent down two Lions on strikes as the home team faced two outs.
- Paladino stepped into the box with two outs and smacked a line drive single into center that brought in freshman Michael Logerwell (Kansas City, Mo.) for the game-winning 7-6 run.
- Emerson continues its packed week with a non conference game out at Gordon on Wednesday, April 17 at 3:30 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS