Score: Coast Guard 3, Emerson 2
Records: Emerson Lions (4-17 / 0-6 NEWMAC) ; Coast Guard Bears (12-8 / 2-4 NEWMAC)
Pitching Decision: WP: Walter Harris (2-0) | LP: Jack Fox (3-3) | S: Will Stephens (4)
Location: New London, Conn.
Date: Tuesday, April 2, 2019
The Lead: Four Lions registered two hits apiece and were one run shy of a comeback in the Emerson baseball team's 3-2 setback down at Coast Guard on Tuesday afternoon in conference action.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Louie Davolio: 2-for-4, double, two runs scored and two RBIs
Quinton Copeland: 2-for-4, two runs scored
Cam Beattie: 2-for-5
Calvin Jacey: 2-for-4
Pitching: Fox - 7.0 innings, six hits, three runs (two earned), one walk & six punch outs
Luke Thompson: 2-for-4, one RBI
Jeremy Lhotka: 2-for-4, double, one RBI
Tom Ankers, Will Stephens & Alex Cordes: one run scored
Pitching: Harris - 6.0 innings, seven hits, one run, three walks & four strikeouts
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson faced an early two-run deficit in the first inning when Jake Behne plated the game's first run on a bases loaded infield single with the second coming on a Lions miscue.
- The first of Davolio's two RBIs came in the top of the third when he smacked an RBI double into the center field gap to bring Emerson back within one (2-1).
- Coast Guard added an insurance run in the home half of the seventh behind Thompson's RBI single (3-1).
- Davolio gave the Lions life in the ninth and once again cut the Bears' lead down to one again when the freshman knocked the second run in on a single (3-2).
- Threatening for more with runners on first and second, Emerson could not plate a run as Stephens entered the game with two outs and retired the final out on a pop up to the shortstop.
- Emerson begins a three-game series with MIT on Friday, April 5 over in Cambridge at 3:30 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS