Score: Coast Guard 9, Emerson 5
Pitching Decision: W: Dustin Reeder (2-1) L: Tim Mainella (0-3)
Records: Emerson Lions (3-14, 0-3 NEWMAC) ; Coast Guard Academy Bears (8-6, 1-2 NEWMAC)
Location: Danvers, Mass. (Pete Frates Diamond)
Date: Tuesday, March 26th, 2019
The Lead: The Emerson Baseball Team's comeback against the COast Guard Academy Bears fell short on Tuesday, with the Lions falling in nine innings, 9-5.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Coast Guard's Dustin Reeder earned the victory, going 6.2 innings, allowing four earned runs, three hits, and striking out six batters.
- Emerson's Tim Mainella (Dover, N.H.) shouldered the loss, pitching five innings, allowing four earned runs, and striking out one batter.
- Josh Cohen (Corte Madera, Calif.) drove in two runs for Emerson, while Jeremy Lhkota had three RBIs for the Bears.
- Jon Pressley and Jake Behne each had two RBIs.
- Coast Guard out hit Emerson 11-5.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Coast Guard jumped out to an early lead, with two errors putting their leadoff hitter Luke Thompson on third base in the top of the first inning. Thompson came home on a groundout by Jeremy Lhotka.
- Jon Pressley singled to right field, bringing home Tom Ankers and giving Coast Guard the 2-0 lead.
- The Bears held their lead until the top of the third when they added on. Will Stephens doubled to center field, bringing home Thompson. Coast Guard tacked on two more runs in the frame, one on a Lohtka sac fly that plated Ankers and one on an error where Pressley reached first. Coast Guard took a 5-0 lead.
- The Lions grabbed one back in the bottom of the fourth inning, after a Quinton Copeland (Houston, Tex.) infield single. Copeland stole second and reached third as the throw skipped into center field. Ryan McCahan (San Jose, Calif.) placed a bunt right in front of home plate right as Copeland took of for home, executing the squeeze and giving Emerson their first run of the game.
- The Bears grabbed the run back in the top of the fifth on a sacrifice fly by Lhotka, bringing home Ankers.
- The score remained 6-1 in favor of Coast Guard until the bottom of the seventh inning. After Joe Cuccio (Jefferson, N.J.) and Joe Colucci (Howell, N.J.) walked, a two out triple by Josh Cohen brought home both Cuccio and Colucci.
- After an Andre Padovani (Lynnfield, Mass.) walk, a C.J. Rogers (Guilford, Conn.) single to left field brought home Cohen, cutting the lead to 6-4.
- Coast Guard added three insurance runs in the ninth, and the Lions comeback fell short, with the final scoring coming at 9-5.
- The Lions are back in action on Thursday when they get back to non-conference play against Newbury College at 3:30pm.