Score: Emerson 4, Lasell 3
Records: Emerson Lions (3-8) ; Lasell Lasers (7-5)
Location: Malden, Mass. (Malden Catholic High School)
Date: Tuesday, March 19, 2019
The Lead: Junior Jack Fox (Los Angeles, Calif.) sent 14 Lasell batters down on strikes through 7.1 innings on the bump and a 2-for-4 day at the plate for junior Joe Cuccio (Jefferson, N.J.) as the Emerson baseball team picked up a 4-3 victory over Lasell under the lights on Tuesday night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Cuccio paced the Emerson bats in a 2-for-4 day at the plate with one RBI followed by a 1-for-3, two RBI and one stolen base showing from sophomore Ryan McCahan (San Jose, Calif.) and another 1-for-3, one RBI, stolen base and run scored night for senior CJ Rogers (Guilford, Conn.).
- Seven Lions registered at least one of Emerson's nine hits.
- Fox commanded the mound for 7.1 innings in the win as he struck out 14 out of the 28 batters he faced walked three and allowed two runs to cross on three hits.
- Senior Ethan Young (Amherst, Mass.) picked up his first save of the season in one relief inning of work where he gave up two hits, one run and a walk.
- Harrison Silva did most of Lasell's hitting with a 3-for-4 night in the box with two RBI followed by two more Lasers picking up one hit apiece.
- Davis shouldered the loss through 6.1 innings and surrendered four runs (two earned) on eight hits while he struck out two and walked one.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Three scoreless innings went by before Emerson scraped its first run across to take an early 1-0 lead in the top half of the fourth frame.
- With runners on first and third, Cuccio put a bat on his RBI single to bring in freshman Louie Davolio (Shrewsbury, Mass.)
- Lasell entered the scoring mix in the home portion of the fourth and plated the go-ahead runs to go in front, 2-1, when Silva singled in both Chris Maringo and David Marsell.
- Emerson used the top of the fifth to knot the score at 2-all thanks to McCahan successfully reaching on a fielder's choice that allowed Rogers to cross home for the tying run.
- Sophomore Dylan Scarfo (Upper Montclair, N.J.) batted a three-bagger and came in to score the go-ahead run on an error by the catcher followed by McCahan sending a sacrifice fly into center as Emerson jumped ahead at 4-2.
- Fox settled and cruised over the next two innings before exiting in the seventh frame as Lions pitching and defense went to work to secure the win.
- Lasell threatened with two outs and runners on first and second, but quickly saw a possible two-run hit to left be taken away as Davolio made a stellar catch to hold the score at 4-2.
- The Lasers were able to get one run across in the bottom of the ninth as Matt Moyaka reached on a fielder's choice to keep their comeback hopes alive, but a pop up to short and fly ball to center locked up the 4-3 win for the Lions.
- Emerson heads down to Mass Maritime on Thursday, March 21 with the first pitch slated for 3:30 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS