Baseball at Lasell
Tuesday, March 19, 2019
Malden, Mass. | Malden Catholic
Baseball at Mass Maritime
Thursday, March 21, 2019
Buzzards Bay, Mass.
Baseball vs. New England College
Saturday, March 23, 2019
Danvers, Mass. | St. John's Prep
BOSTON, Mass. - The Emerson baseball team looks to get back on track in its set of matchups away and at home starting on Tuesday night with a night game over at Lasell at 8:00 p.m.. The Lions trek down to Mass Maritime on Thursday afternoon for a 3:30 p.m. start before wrapping the week on its home field on Saturday hosting New England College at 1:00 p.m.
A LOOK BACK ON THE WEEK
- Emerson had a quiet week coming off its Florida spring break trip with one game against Rivier last Thursday afternoon where the Lions slipped up in a 9-4 setback to the Raiders.
- 11 games into the 2019 season, the Lions hold an overall record of 2-9.
LIONS IN THE FIELD
- Batting 13 hits in 29 at bats puts freshman Quinton Copeland (Houston, Tex.) ninth among NEWMAC hitters boasting a .448 average at the plate and is a threat on the base path, stealing a conference best 11 bases.
- Alongside Copeland, senior CJ Rogers (Guilford, Conn.) follows tied in the sixth spot with six stolen bases.
- Junior Jack Fox (Los Angeles, Calif.) holds a 1-0 record through three starts and 14.0 innings pitched and has locked down a 1.29 earned run average (6th) with 14 strikeouts (8th).
SCOUTING THE LASERS
- Lasell (7-4) closed out its Florida spring break trip with a pair of setbacks to St. Joseph's (LI) and Edgewood last weekend.
- The Lasers started off 2019 on a hot streak, snagging wins in its opening six of seven games with 10+ runs scored in five of those wins.
- The first 12 games have seen Lasell cross home for 91 runs thanks to the Lasers hitting .328 as a team alongside a .428 on base percentage and .409 slugging percentage with one home run.
- Matt Bischof boasts a team-high .478 average at the plate with Brett Sherron driving in eight runs and Evan Michalek stealing 10 bags.
- On the mound, Lasell is led by David Marsell, who registers a 2.70 ERA followed Dan Petr pacing the pitching staff with 13 K's and Zach Handzel locking up a Lasers-high two wins.
- Emerson and Lasell last met on the diamond back on April 12, 2018 in a game that saw the Lions make a late push for a 9-8 win.
SCOUTING THE BUCCANEERS
- Mass Maritime (2-7) most recently split a twin bill with Johnson & Wales (RI) over the weekend, taking a 14-6 loss before snagging a 2-0 win.
- The Buccaneers will meet Newbury on the diamond on Wednesday before Saturday's contest.
- Through nine games, Mass Maritime has plated 39 runs while batting .221 as a team with a .337 on base percentage and .270 slugging percentage alongside one homer.
- Saturday's meeting marks the first time Emerson and Mass Maritime have played one another since March 20, 2016 where the Buccaneers won 7-0.
- At the plate, Paul Sances has batted eight hits while JP Kelley racks up a .318 average along with Marley Dembitzki bringing in four runs.
- John Teehan and Mason Ashburn lead on the bump for the Buccaneers as Teehan has put up a 4.26 ERA and fanned 23 batters, while Ashburn follows with one win and 17 punch-outs.
SCOUTING THE PILGRIMS
- New England College (10-4) are coming off a weekend set with WPI where the Pilgrims went 1-2 and took a 6-5 win over the Engineers in its lone victory.
- This will be the first contest between Emerson and New England College since a March 9, 2017 game in Florida where the Lions shutout the Pilgrims, 10-0, in seven innings.
- Racking up a .500 batting average with a .964 slugging percentage is Connor Morin and is joined by Evan Delaney, who has driven in 20 runs alongside three homers and eight stolen bases and Christian Aybar, who has racked up 22 hits.
- Anchoring New England College with two wins on the bump and a Pilgrims-leading 1.76 ERA is Jameson Carey with Shane Audet sending down 28 batters on strikes and Jeam Castillo securing one save.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS