Score: Fontbonne 6, Emerson 0
Records: Emerson Lions (1-5) ; Fontbonne Griffiths (7-0)
Pitching Decision: WP: Luke Summers (3-0) | LP: Nick Rempe (0-1)
Location: Auburndale, Fla. (Lake Myrtle Field #2)
Date: Tuesday, March 5, 2019
The Lead: In its third day of spring break play down in Florida, the Emerson baseball team found themselves on the wrong end of a 6-0 shutout against the Fontbonne Griffiths on Tuesday afternoon.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Freshman Quinton Copeland (Houston, Tex.) collected a pair of hits in his 2-for-5 day at the plate for Emerson with a triple and added a stolen base.
- Seven Lions batted one hit apiece as the Lions had nine total hits.
- Jonathan Hoevelmann went 3-for-4 in the box with three runs scored and stole four bases and Braeden Dobbs followed going 2-for-5 with a team-high two RBIs.
- Summers went the full seven innings and struck out 11 for Fontbonne, while Rempe allowed five runs (four earned) in 5.2 innings of work while he struck out six and walked seven.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Fontbonne used a hit batsman to get on the board first as Hoevelmann came home to score as Jackson Penrod reached on a fielder's choice to make the game 1-0.
- Emerson got into a 2-0 hole in the second frame with Michael Puckett Jr.'s sacrifice fly sending home Hoevelmann, who began the inning with a single.
- The Lions faced a four-run deficit in the fifth when Dobbs recorded an RBI despite Matt Tossick grounding into a double play that allowed Puckett Jr. to touch home on the play.
- Emerson could not get much going as Summers shut down the Lions and saw the Griffiths add on two more runs within the sixth and eighth frames.
- Emerson plays an early morning game on Wednesday, March 6 against St. Vincent at 9:30 a.m. in Osecola, Fla.
- Fontbonne also play tomorrow in an afternoon matchup with Penn St. Brandywine at 3:15 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS