Score: Emerson 3, Lasell 1 (25-18, 25-17, 23-25, 25-14)
Records: Emerson Lions (13-13, 3-6 NEWMAC) ; Lasell Lasers (12-19, 6-4 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Thursday, October 26, 2017
The Lead: Junior Kelley Guerra (Randolph, N.J.) contributed a team best 13 kills and classmate Fara Cohen (Morristown, N.J.) recorded a season high 27 digs to propel the Emerson women's volleyball team to a 3-1 non conference victory over the Lasell Lasers on Thursday night. Emerson earned the 25-18 and 25-17 opening set wins before Lasell battled to a 25-23 victory in the third frame as the Lions closed out the match with a 25-14 fourth set triumph.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Guerra led Emerson with 13 kills and freshman Grace Tepper (Kensington, Md.) followed with 10 swings.
- Junior Moira Brennan (Glenview, Ill.) recorded an overall match best 36 assists to go along with 10 digs, while sophomore Jamie Groele (Chelmsford, Mass.) served a match high five aces and Cohen led all scorers with 27 digs.
- On the defense side, Emerson saw three players registered five blocks including freshman Albany Alexander (Orlando, Fl.), senior Halley Dewey (Hopewell Junction, N.Y.) and Guerra.
- For Lasell, Olivia Addington led the offense with 14 kills, while Caitlyn Garcia had 17 digs and Taylor Tiezzi recorded 29 assists and both Allie Jo Amos and Kelly Cappitella served two aces.
HOW IT HAPPENED
SET ONE (Emerson 25, Lasell 18)
- Within the opening portion of the first frame, Emerson maintained a six point advantage over Lasell several times before the hosts gained its biggest lead of eight at 19-11 after a Lasers attack error.
- Lasell began to make their way back into the match with the next five of six points to cut Emerson's lead down to four at 20-16.
- The Lions answered with a string of four points to push the score to 24-16 before the Lasers put its final two points of the set on the board, but it was the Lions who sealed the set win on a Lasers service error.
SET TWO (Emerson 25, Lasell 17)
- The score margin stayed within no more than three points until the middle of the second set when Emerson broke away and strung four consecutive points together to give themselves a 19-13 cushion.
- Lasell was able to register four more points to bring them within five at 22-17 on a kill from Addingtion, but Emerson produced the final three points and sealed the 25-17 win thanks to a Laser attack error.
SET THREE (Lasell 25, Emerson 23)
- Lasell built an early 8-4 lead over Emerson and held the 14-10 lead before the Lions registered four points to square the score at 14-all.
- The Lions pushed their lead up to 19-17 after they tacked on four straight points, but they could not maintain it and watched the Lasers go up 24-22.
- A kill from Dewey gave Emerson life with the score now at 24-23, yet it the Lasers who earned the set's final point on a swing from Mickayla Shelburn.
SET FOUR (Emerson 25, Lasell 14)
- Emerson claimed an early lead of 9-3 over Lasell before the visitors began to gain some ground back and closed to within three at 12-9.
- The Lasers remained within reaching distance at 14-10, but a swing from Guerra and an attack error sparked the Lions for the next five of seven points to ballon their lead to 19-12.
- The Lions allowed the Lasers to tack on its last two points before Bertrand was on the service line for all five of the Lions points to close out the 25-14 win.
- Emerson closes their 2017 campaign on Saturday, October 28 and will host Springfield in a NEWMAC home match at 1:00 p.m.
- Lasell returns to its home hardwood to wrap up its season on Saturday afternoon at 1:00 p.m. as well and will host GNAC foes, Anna Maria and Norwich, in tri-match play.
• Stay updated on the Emerson women's volleyball team and follow the Lions on Twitter @EmersonVBALL and on Instagram. Be sure to follow Emerson Athletics on Twitter @EmersonLions for all things Lions athletics. Also, tune into Emerson Channel Sports to watch games live!