Score: Wellesley 3, Emerson 2 (25-19, 25-18, 25-19, 25-22, 15-9)
Records: Emerson Lions (4-4, 0-1 NEWMAC) ; Wellesley Blue (4-3, 1-0 NEWMAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Tuesday, September 12, 2017
The Lead: Down two sets to none, the Emerson women's volleyball team surged a late comeback to square the match at 2-all only come up short as the Wellesley Blue took the fifth set and downed the Lions, 3-2 to start off NEWMAC action on Tuesday night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Freshman Grace Tepper (Kensington, Md.) produced a double-double effort of 14 kills and 10 digs, while junior Moira Brennan (Glenview, Ill.) recorded 35 helpers.
- Tepper and junior Kelley Guerra (Randolph, N.J.) each served up three aces as Guerra also led the defense with four block assists.
- Wellesley saw Lauren Gedney put up a double double of 15 kills and 11 digs, while Samantha Ostenso (11 kills) and Nikki Jensen (12 kills) also racked up double digits in kills.
- Michelle Li registered an overall match high 41 assists, Gedney served four aces, Samantha Hoang had 12 digs and Darina Postupaka and Yasmine Reece each had two blocks.
HOW IT HAPPENED
SET ONE (Wellesley 25, Emerson 19)
- Emerson locked up the score at 7-all before Wellesley produced the next eight of 11 points to give themselves a 15-9 cushion.
- Trailing 21-12 after a 5-0 streak by the Blue, the Lions answered with the following seven of nine points to cut the score down to 23-19 on an ace by Guerra.
- The Lions comeback was cut short as back-to-back kills by the Blue sealed the set at 25-19.
SET TWO (Wellesley 25, Emerson 18)
- The Lions pulled within a pair at 7-5 after the Blue jumped out with a 7-3 lead to begin the second frame.
- Wellesley answered with six of the next seven scores to extend its lead to 13-6 as Emerson began to crawl their way back to put the score at 18-14.
- Emerson again closed the gap to four at 20-16 on a Wellesley attack error, but the Blue produced the final five points to take the second set, 25-18.
SET THREE (Emerson 25, Wellesley 19)
- With the score in a 5-all knot, Emerson boosted themselves ahead 10-5 thanks to a pair of aces served up by Tepper.
- A pair of consecutive swings from Gedney helped push Wellesley to within two of Emerson at 11-9 and were able to close within one at 13-12 thanks to a Jensen kill.
- Two aces and a kill by Guerra were compiled in a 5-0 run by the Lions to bump the score to 18-12.
- Emerson held Wellesley to within no more than three to seal the third frame and wrapped the 25-19 win on a Blues attack error.
SET FOUR (Emerson 25, Wellesley 22)
- Emerson erased a 2-0 match lead held by Wellesley and stormed back to even the contest at 2-all.
- Wellesley gained a commanding 9-2 advantage to start off the frame, yet it was Emerson embarked on a comeback and used the next eight points to even the score, 10-all.
- The Blue pushed themselves back ahead of the Lions, 14-11, with a four point run before the Purple grabbed the 18-17 lead back on an ace by sophomore Kayleen Bertrand (New Boston, N.H.).
- Emerson held onto a one point edge at 23-22 after Wellesley put up a trio of points, yet it was the Lions who took the match 25-22 on back-to-back Blues errors.
SET FIVE (Wellesley 15, Emerson 9)
- Starting off the first set with a 4-2 lead, Wellesley allowed Emerson to tack on a pair of points to lock the score at 4-all.
- Wellesley went up by four at 11-7 as Emerson added to more points to make the score 11-9, but the Blue sparked a 4-0 run to take the fifth set, 15-9.
- Emerson returns to the court this coming Saturday, September 16 to continue conference play at Coast Guard for a 1:00 p.m. match.
- Wellesley heads back home to welcome Mount Holyoke for a 2:00 p.m. NEWMAC contest on Saturday, September 16th.
• Stay updated on the Emerson women's volleyball team and follow the Lions on Twitter @EmersonVBALL and on Instagram. Be sure to follow Emerson Athletics on Twitter @EmersonLions for all things Lions athletics. Also, tune into Emerson Channel Sports to watch games live!