Score: Emerson 1, Smith 0
Records: Emerson Lions (3-4-2, 3-0 NEWMAC) ; Smith Pioneers (5-5, 1-3 NEWMAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Rotch Field)
Date: Tuesday, October 3, 2017
The Lead: A net from junior Jess Frost (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.) within the 17th minute of the first half was all the Emerson women's soccer team needed to edge out Smith College in a 1-0 triumph to remain perfect in NEWMAC play on Tuesday night.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Emerson held the 12-4 shot advantage over Smith, as well as the 4-3 edge in corner kicks.
- The Lions committed 12 infractions while the Pioneers were on the end of 10.
- Frost produced the lone goal for Emerson with junior Elizabeth Noble (Long Beach, Calif.) credited for the assist.
- Senior net minder Laura Gartelman (Hamburg, N.Y.) turned away two shots on both of Smith's two shot attempts through 90 minutes between the pipes for Emerson.
- Reilly Sullivan registered two shots for Smith, including one shot on goal, while Kenza Mdarhri-Alaoui recorded one shot on goal.
- In goal for Smith was Shelby Hall, who allowed one goal and came away with five saves on six shot attempts in the loss.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson controlling ball possession within the opening frame allowed the Lions to use one of its six shots to grab the 1-0 lead within the 17th minute.
- From Noble in the top of the crease, she fed Frost the ball from 30 yards out as Frost corralled the ball above the fingertips of Hall to put Emerson on top.
- Emerson returns to the field for its second NEWMAC contest of the week as the Lions travel to WPI on Saturday, October 7 for a 1:00 p.m. tilt.
- Smith also continues NEWMAC road action on Saturday afternoon and head to Wheaton (Mass.) at 1:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS
• Stay updated on the Emerson women's soccer team and follow the Lions on Twitter @emersonwsoccer and Facebook Emerson College Women's Soccer. Also be sure to tune into Emerson Channel Sports to watch games live!