Score: Tufts 2, Emerson 1
Records: Emerson Lions (0-3) ; Tufts Jumbos (1-0)
Location: Somerville, Mass. (Bello Field)
Date: Wednesday, September 6, 2017
The Lead: Junior Paige Haley's (San Diego, Calif.) first goal of the season came with 43 seconds left in regulation, but it was not enough as the Emerson women's soccer team were edged, 2-1, by the Tufts Jumbos in non-conference women's soccer action on Wednesday afternoon at Bello Field.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Haley recorded the lone goal for Emerson as junior Jess Frost (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.) earned the assist.
- Senior goalie Laura Gartelman (Hamburg, N.Y.) came away with six saves and allowed a pair of goals on eight shots through 90 minutes in net.
- Tally Clark and Mariah Harvey-Brown notched both Tufts goals, while Alessandra Sadley and Elizabeth Reed were each credited with an assist.
- Tufts net minder Emily Bowers allowed one goal and came away with one save on two shots in the win for the Jumbos.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Neither Emerson nor Tufts were able to register a goal within the first 45 minutes as the Jumbos outshot the Lions, 5-2.
- It was in the 68th minutes that Tufts was able to break the scoreless tie as Reed fed the ball to Harvey-Brown to put the Jumbos ahead 1-0.
- A little over a minute later, Emerson found themselves down 2-0 after Clark put Tufts second goal past Gartelman.
- On the brink of being shutout with 43 ticks on the clock, Haley fired her first goal of the season to put the Lions on board at 2-1.
- Emerson wraps up its road trip on Saturday, September 9 as they travel to Middletown, Conn. to meet Wesleyan for a 12:00 p.m. non-conference matchup.
- Tufts remains at home and welcomes Colby for its first NESCAC contest of the season on Saturday, September 9 at 1:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS
• Stay updated on the Emerson women's soccer team and follow the Lions on Twitter @emersonwsoccer and Facebook Emerson College Women's Soccer. Also be sure to tune into Emerson Channel Sports to watch games live!