Score: Clark 76, Emerson 58
Records: Emerson Lions (11-12, 4-10 NEWMAC); Clark Cougars (13-10, 6-9 NEWMAC)
Location: Worcester, Mass. (Kneller Athletics Center)
Date: February 11, 2017
The Lead: In the Emerson women's basketball final road game of the 2017 season, the Lions headed to Clark where they were handed a 76-58 setback despite a team-best 14 points from senior Elizabeth Horan (Ashland, Mass.) on Saturday afternoon in NEWMAC action.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Horan, who canned 14 points, finished 4-for-15 from the floor with two assists and one rebound.
- Sophomore Charlie Boyle (Scotts Valley, Calif.) followed Horan with a double-double performance of 10 points and 10 boards.
- Junior Sierra Ducey (Poway, Calif.) recorded a game-high 15 boards (12 defensive) and three blocks to match five assists and one steal.
- Aretha Sullivan led Clark with 24 points and finished 7-of-15 from the floor, including a 4-for-6 performance beyond the arc.
- Sam O'Gara registered a game-best 11 assists, while Ogechi Ezemma put up 14 points to match 15 rebounds and Haley Wilder chipped in 17 points.
- Emerson finished shooting 26.8% (19-for-71) on the floor, made 24.1% (7-of-29) behind the three-point line and outshot Clark on the charity stripe (72.2-68.4).
- Clark went 28-for-70 (40%) from the field, made 7-of-19 (36.8%) beyond the arc and went 13-for-19 on the free throw line.
- The Cougars outshot the Lions on the glass (57-42) and within the paint (32-18).
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Within the first quarter, three ties occurred between Emerson and Clark before the Cougars broke the 12-12 tie on an O'Gara jumper to put the score at 14-12 at the 1:40 mark and closed the quarter with the 17-12 edge after a triple by Torieana Pierre.
- On a trey by Ducey at the 5:00 mark of the second quarter, the Lions cut the Cougars margin down to four at 23-19, which would the closest they would come through the remainder of the game.
- Clark closed the book on the first half with a 9-1 push to balloon their lead to ten at 32-22.
- With just under four minutes remaining in the third quarter, a shot beyond the arc from Horan brought Emerson within 10 at 46-36.
- The Cougars added an additional 11 points through the final 3:53 of the third to extend their lead to 15 at the end of the quarter.
- Emerson kept within 10 of Clark through much of the fourth until the 3:28 mark and watched the Cougars tack on eight more points.
- Freshman Quinn Madden (Mokena, Ill.) put up the Lions final point from the free throw line as the Cougars closed out the 76-58 win on a trey from Wilder.
- Emerson returns home for the start of its final two regular season home matchups to host Smith on Wednesday, February 15 for a 7:00 p.m. and will be played at Suffolk.
- Clark heads on the road for its last two matchups of 2017 and will travel to Springfield on Wednesday night as well at 5:30 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS