Score: Babson 72, Emerson 51
Records: Emerson Lions (11-11, 4-9 NEWMAC); Babson Beavers (19-4, 13-1 NEWMAC)
Location: Babson Park, Mass. (Staake Gymnasium)
Date: February 8, 2017
The Lead: Sophomore Natalie Busch (Weybridge, England) canned a team-best 17 points in the Emerson women's basketball team's 72-51 loss at the hands of Babson on Wednesday night as the Lions saw their three-game winning streak snapped.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Busch finished going 8-for-20 from the floor with 17 points and five rebounds
- Junior Sierra Ducey (Poway, Calif.) registered a team-best eight boards, three steals, a pair of blocks and co-led with freshman Quinn Madden (Mokena, Ill.) with two assists.
- Giovanna Pickering paced the hosts with an overall game-high 25 points, 10 rebounds, three steals and two assists.
- Babson outscored Emerson within the paint (42-18) and on the glass (49-39).
- The Beavers finished with a 37.3 (26-67) field goal percentage along with a 11.1 (1-9) three-point percentage and were 80.8% (21-26) on the free throw line.
- Emerson registered a field goal percentage of 30.4 (21-69), made 5-of-31 from three-point range (5-of-31) and were 4-of-11 from the charity stripe.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Junior Maya Savino (Killingworth, Conn.) drained a triple that ignited a 6-2 run to give Emerson the lead in the opening quarter at the 6:35 mark.
- Babson began to close within Emerson with a 9-4 push to come within one at 14-13 on a Pickering layup.
- Busch sank the go-ahead layup to give the Lions a 16-13 edge going into the second quarter.
- The Lions were blanked throughout the entirety of the second quarter, which allowed the Beavers to tack on 14 more points and gave themselves the 27-16 at the half.
- Both Emerson and Babson registered 19 points within the third quarter, but it was the Beavers who entered the fourth with the 46-35 advantage.
- Through the beginning of the third, Emerson managed to keep the score to within eight until the Beavers embarked on a 7-1 run to extend its lead to 13 at 42-29 after a triple by Hannah Metcalf.
- Nine was the closest Emerson would come to Babson within the final two minutes of the third before the Beavers upped its lead to 11.
- Emerson was unable to cash in on its first five shot attempts of the fourth, which was enough to allow Babson to give themselves the 18 point cushion at 53-35.
- The Beavers pushed its lead to 21 with 4:02 on the clock after a trey by Emily Bonifacic put the score at 60-39.
- Babson ballooned its lead to 29 on a pair of good shots from the charity stripe by Katherine Tamulionis at 70-41 and did not allow Emerson to come within more than 23 to close out the fourth.
- Emerson head off to Clark for its final regular season road matchup on Saturday, February 11 and is slated for a 1:00 p.m. start.
- Babson remains at home and welcomes WPI on Wednesday, February 15 for a 7:30 p.m. matchup.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS