Score: Emerson 75, Mount Holyoke 62
Records: Emerson Lions (11-10, 4-8 NEWMAC); Mount Holyoke Lyons (2-18, 0-13 NEWMAC)
Location: South Hadley, Mass. (Mildred Howard Gym)
Date: February 4, 2017
The Lead: A career-high 29 points from sophomore Charlie Boyle (Scotts Valley, Calif.) and strong first quarter helped propel the Emerson women's basketball team to its third consecutive win in a 75-62 victory over host Mount Holyoke on Saturday afternoon in NEWMAC action.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Boyle was nearly perfect on the floor and finished 14-for-16 and was two rebounds away from a double-double with eight boards to match her 29 points.
- Senior Elizabeth Horan (Ashland, Mass.) followed with 11 points, while junior Sierra Ducey (Poway, Calif.) registered nine rebounds, six assists, three steals and two blocks.
- Kathryn Violette paced Mount Holyoke with 21 points and two steals and went 6-for-7 on the free throw line, while Grover tallied 19 points and nailed three shots behind the arc.
- Emerson outscored Mount Holyoke within the paint (34-16) and on the glass (45-32), while they also turned 21 turnovers by the Lyons into 20 points.
- The Lions shot 47.7% (31-for-65) from the floor, were 7-of-25 from beyond the arc (28.0%) and made 54.5% (6-of-11) of their shots from the charity stripe.
- The Lyons went 23-for-32 (37.1%) from the field, went 5-for-13 (38.5%) behind the three-point line and canned 61.1% (11-of-18) of their free-throw attempts.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Lions began the opening quarter with a bang and embarked on an 8-0 run that began on a triple by junior Maya Savino (Killingworth, Conn.) and later increased their lead to 11 on a free throw by Boyle.
- At the 4:03 mark, Violette registered four straight points to bring Mount Holyoke within nine at 15-6 before freshman Kate Foultz (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) converted a good shot from the charity line to put the score back into double figures with five seconds left.
- Savino nailed another three to give Emerson the 23-13 lead in the second quarter and ignited a 8-2 run.
- After Horan knocked down a three to put the score at 34-17, Violette put up another four points to push the Lyons within 10 at 34-24 at the half.
- A solid start to the third frame by Mount Holyoke thanks to another five from Violette, but Emerson ballooned its advantage back up to 14 behind Boyle's eight points over 1:04.
- Mount Holyoke closed the gap to six at the three-minute mark of the third before Horan hit another triple to put Emerson up 50-40 going into the fourth.
- Within the fourth, the Lions propelled to a 17 point cushion before the Lyons posed a comeback and slowly chipped away at the Lions dominant lead.
- After Mount Holyoke cut the lead down to 13, Grover drained a jumper to bring the Lyons within 11 (67-56) with 3:22 left to play.
- Boyle tacked on four more points to bump the lead to 15 as the Lions were able to hold on for the 75-62 win despite the Lyons putting up six points through the final 1:17.
- Emerson returns home on Wednesday, February 8 to host NEWMAC foe, Babson, at 7:30 p.m.
- Mount Holyoke steps out of NEWMAC play on Tuesday, February 7 and welcome Norwich for a 7:00 p.m. contest.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS