Score: Rivier 3, Emerson 0 (9-25, 21-25, 24-26)
Records: Emerson Lions (6-7, 0-3 GNAC); Rivier Raiders (12-8, 3-1 GNAC)
Location: Nashua, N.H. (Muldoon Gymnasium)
Date: March 16, 2017
The Lead: The Emerson men's volleyball team resumed GNAC play on Thursday night after a short break as the Lions were swept in straight sets by the Rivier Raiders at Muldoon Gymnasium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
SET ONE - Rivier 25, Emerson 9
- Rivier snapped the 2-all tie and embarked on a 5-0 push that consisted of a trio of aces by Dashaun Graham to go in front 7-2.
- Emerson earned a point back on a swing from sophomore Win Kittavatcharapong (Bangkok, Thailand) before Rivier answered with the next eight of nine points to bump their lead into double digits at 16-4.
- The Lions were able to tack on five more points, but it was the Raiders who cruised to the 25-9 win in the first set.
SET TWO - Rivier 25, Emerson 21
- The Raiders held an 11-5 lead over the Lions to open the set until the Lions responded with a string of four points to put them within two at 11-9.
- Emerson kept pace with Rivier and came within three on several occasions before the Lions pulled within two at 23-21 on back-to-back aces by junior Nick Rusk (Fort Lauderdale, Fl.).
- The Lions comeback was stalled as the Raiders tacked on the final points of the set on a kill by Ian Wolski and a Lions attack error.
SET THREE - Rivier 26, Emerson 24
- Emerson grabbed its first lead of the match at 4-3 before Rivier reclaimed the 5-4 edge on a Lions attack error.
- After a Rivier service error squared the score 5-all, Emerson embarked on a 7-4 run to claim the 12-9 advantage over the Raiders.
- A trio of points from the Raiders evened the score at 12-all as the Lions once again answered with the next six of eight points to grab the 18-15 lead on a swing by freshman Diego Garcia (Honolulu, Hi.).
- Rivier once again squared the score up, this time at 18-all, as the equalizer came on an Lions attack error.
- Emerson put up a 6-3 push to up their lead to 23-19 and were one point away from taking the match at 24-21 thanks to service error by Rivier.
- The Lions, however, allowed the Raiders to gain control as the Raiders closed the set out on three consecutive swings from Cam Roth to notch the 26-24 comeback `win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Kittivatcharapong paced Emerson with 10 kills on 24 swings and four blocks, while classmate Mark Piorkowski (Montclair, N.J.) registered nine kills.
- Rusk recorded 25 assists and freshman Carl D'Aguiar (Tujunga, Calif.) had nine digs.
- Ian Wolski notched a game-best 12 kills for Rivier.
- Tyler Blank had 25 assists, while Graham hammered four aces, Garret Bucklin registered 12 digs and John Equitani led the defense with three blocks.
- Emerson heads into a GNAC tri-match at Wentworth on Saturday, March 19 and wiill face the No. 10 Leopards at 11:00 a.m. and Alberts Magnus at 1:00 p.m.
- Rivier also enters tri-match action this weekend as they welcome Mount Ida and Emmanuel (Mass.) on Saturday, March 18 with the first match beginning at 11:00 a.m. and the second at 3 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS