Score: Daniel Webster 14, Emerson 9
Records: Emerson Lions (1-1); Daniel Webster Eagles (2-2)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Rotch Field)
Date: March 18, 2017
The Lead: Sophomore Jared Brush (Grosse Point Park, Mi.) and freshman Paul Seguin (Norwell, Mass.) each tallied three goals apiece in the Emerson men's lacrosse team's 14-9 defeat to the Daniel Webster Eagles in non-conference play on Saturday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Sophomore Cam Radenberg (Los Angeles, Calif.) fired Emerson's goal past Daniel Webster goalie James Bushey just four minutes into the first quarter to give the Lions a 1-0 lead.
- After Chris Shanahan sent in the 1-all equalizer at the 6:19 mark, Radenberg set up both Seguin and Brush pushed Emerson in front, 3-1.
- Daniel Webster closed within one with 35 ticks left in the quarter on a net by Tre Mason to put the score at 3-2.
- Emerson opened up the second frame with the 4-2 lead after Radenberg's second goal snuck past Bushey as Brush followed with the Lions fourth goal at 11:28 before Tanner Todd brought the Eagles within two at 5-3.
- Back-to-back goals by junior James Monroe-Chausse (Cape Elizabeth, Me.) and Brush gave Emerson a four-goal cushion at 7-3, but Daniel Webster chipped Emerson's lead to two at 7-5 after a pair of nets from Gavin Abbott.
- The Lions held their two-goal lead until Tre Mason brought the Eagles to within a goal at 7-6 to close out the first half.
- Abbott's third goal dinged the left post and found its way into the net to put the game into a 7-all lock at 12:32 of the third quarter.
- Seguin put up Emerson's first goal of the half at the 9:30 mark before a pair of goals from Mason and Brian Visco lifted Daniel Webster to its first lead at 9-8.
- After Daniel Webster gained its first lead, a trio of goals by Mason and one from Visco gave the Eagles its largest lead of five and entered the final quarter with a 13-8 lead.
- Seguin tallied Emerson's first goal since 10:44 of the third quarter to bring the Lions to within four at 13-9 before Todd's net slipped past sophomore goalie Bailey Kennedy (Swampscott, Mass.) to put the score at 14-9.
- Senior Austin Max (Nashville, Tn.) fired one last shot attempt with 54 seconds left in regulation, only to have Bushey quickly halt the shot.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Seguin and Busch each racked up a trio of goals for Emerson, while Radenberg recorded a team-best four assists.
- Sophomore Fernando Gutierrez (Lancaster, Penn.) scooped up a game-high 16 ground balls.
- Mason led Daniel Webster with six goals as Abbott registered five assists to match his three goals.
- Todd scooped up a team-best five ground balls.
- Bushey recorded 12 saves through the full 60 minutes between the pipes for the Eagles.
- Kennedy was tagged with the loss and registered 14 saves through 60 minutes in the net for Emerson.
- Emerson beat Daniel Webster in the X (22-5), while the Eagles held the 48-38 shot advantage as both teams each picked up 37 ground balls.
- Emerson went 13-for-15 in clears and were 0-for-3 in man-up opportunities, while Daniel Webster had 18-of-22 successful clears and were also 0-for-3 in man up chances.
- Emerson resumes non-conference play on Wednesday, March 22 as they head off to Wheelock for a 7:00 p.m. contest.
- Daniel Webster is also back in road action on Wednesday, March 22 and travel to Dean at 4:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS