Score: Babson 89, Emerson 82
Records: Emerson Lions (10-14, 4-9 NEWMAC) ; Babson Beavers (15-9, 10-3 NEWMAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Wednesday, February 14, 2018
The Lead: Junior Geoffrey Gray (Newton, Mass.) poured in a new career-high 47 points to finish out a double double of 15 rebounds as the Emerson men's basketball nearly squeaked past the Babson Beavers, but the Lions fell just short in an 89-82 setback on Wednesday night. Prior to the start of the game, the Lions honored its four seniors including Michael Sheng (Altadena, Calif.), John Geary (Duxbury, Mass.), Jared Jackson (Marco Island, Fla.) and Corey Fitz (Los Altos, Calif.).
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Gray canned a new career-high of 47 points on 20-of-34 with 3-of-5 coming from the free throw line and 4-of-10 on the perimeter to go along with 15 boards.
- Sophomore Jack O'Connor (Newport, R.I.) canned 10 points from the bench, while Sheng was credited with a team-best six assists and three steals.
- For Babson, Nick Comenale poured in 24 points on 8-of-13 and two blocks, while Brandon Johnson pulled down 12 rebounds and two blocks, Shyheim Ulrickson had five assists and Tim Hasbargen also had two steals.
- Emerson finished the night shooting 41.3% (33-80) with a three-point percentage of 25.0% (8-32) and were 66.7% at the free throw line (8-12).
- Babson wrapped the game shooting 30-of-61 from the field (49.2%) and canned 10-of-25 from the perimeter (40.0%) and made 19-of-28 from the charity stripe (67.9%).
- Emerson topped Babson on the boards (47-38) and in assists (15-14), as well as in the paint (36-32) and turned 14 Beavers' turnovers in 17 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Babson connected for its opening four buckets of the game and at 16:49, Emerson were quickly in 10-2 hole after Brandon Johnson canned a triple.
- Geary and Gray contributed the next five points for Emerson and pushed the Lions to within three inch within three (10-7) at 15:49.
- With 3:23 remaining the opening half, Babson put Emerson in a 20 point hole (42-22) and were able to maintain a steady 20+ lead until the 1:16 mark.
- On layups from O'Connor and Gray, the Lions got the margin down to 16 and went into the half down by the score of 52-36.
- Tough defense on Emerson's end allowed the Lions to tally 10 points within the first three minutes of the second half to put the Beavers' lead into single digits at eight (54-46) after Gray connected on a jumper.
- After Gray put up another jumper at 16:22, Babson kickstarted its offense again and surged on an 8-0 spurt to balloon its advantage back into double figures at 19 (67-48) on Andrew Jaworski's tray.
- Time Hasbargen's layup at 12:12 put Babson's lead back up to 19 (69-50) with Emerson staying double figures until Sheng put up a layup to jumpstart a 17-6 run as the score dwindled all the way down to six (80-74) with 2:24 on the clock.
- Comenale canned a pair of shots from the charity line to put Babson's lead back at 10 (84-74) at 1:45, but Emerson kept chipping away as a triple from Sheng pushed the Lions back within six (88-82).
- Babson canned its final point at the free throw line with the final set at 89-82.
- Emerson concludes its 2018 campaign on the road this coming Saturday, February 17 down at Coast Guard at 1:00 p.m.
- Babson wraps its regular season on the road as well and heads to Springfield on Saturday at 1:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS