Score: WPI 105, Emerson 77
Records: Emerson Lions (10-13, 4-8 NEWMAC) ; WPI Engineers (14-9, 8-4 NEWMAC)
Location: Worcester, Mass.
Date: Saturday, February 10, 2018
The Lead: Geoffrey Gray notched his 1000th point for the Lions on his first basket of the game on Saturday. Gray led the Lions with 21 points.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Geoffrey Gray scored his 1000th point in an Emerson uniform, totaling 21 points to lead the lions, adding five rebounds and five assits.
- Chris Rodgers led all players with 27 points on 10-12 shooting from the field. Rodgers added seven rebounds, two assists, and two steals.
- Jake Wisnewski chipped in 17 points for the Engineers, with Jack O'Connor (Newport, R.I.), scoring 13 and Jaelen Ogahdoh (Portland, Ore.) scoring 10 for the Lions.
- WPI outshot the Lions from the field, hitting 38 of 69(55.1%) shots while the Lions went 26 of 61(42.6%).
- The Lions shot strong from three point range, going 12-27(44.4%) from that length.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Lions fell behind early, with WPI jumping out to an early 10-3 lead.
- Jack O'Connor (Newport, R.I.) cut the lead to four with his second three-pointer in a row.
- WPI scored the next 12 points, extending their lead to 16.
- In the second half, the Engineers opened up their lead to 32, but Geoff Gray found his rhythm.
- Gray hit three three-pointers in a row, to cut the lead to 19 and give the Lions life.
- WPI did not allow the Lions to claw back, and saw the game out with a final score of 105-77.
GRAY SCORES 1000
- Geoffrey Gray scored his 1000th point on his first basket with 7:27 remaining in the first half.
- Gray is averaging 19.8 points on the season in 35 minutes per game.
- A junior from Newton, MA, Gray is a mainstay in the Lions lineup and continues to be an vital cog in the team.
- The Lions will welcome the Babson Beavers to Brown & Plofker Gym at 7:30pm for a Valentine's Day NEWMAC matchup on Wednesday.
- The Engineers will welcome Springfield on Wednesday in a vital NEWMAC matchup.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS