Score: No. 21 Amherst 78, Emerson 65
Records: Emerson Lions (5-2) ; No. 21 Amherst Mammoths (4-0)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: Saturday, December 2, 2017
The Lead: The Emerson men's basketball team saw its three game winning streak come to halt at the hands of the No. 21 Amherst Mammoths on Saturday afternoon despite senior Michael Sheng (Altadena, Calif.) leading all scorers with 22 points in non conference men's basketball action.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Sheng finished 6-for-11 from the floor and went 3-for-5 on the three point line with an impressive showing of a perfect 7-for-7 on the charity stripe to go along with three assists, four rebounds and one steal.
- Following Sheng with double figures were sophomore Jack O'Connor (Newport, R.I.) with 16 points and junior Geoffrey Gray (Newton, Mass.) adding 13.
- Gray also pulled down a team-best six boards, while sophomore Ben Holding (South Dartmouth, Mass.) had a pair of steals and senior Corey Fitz (Los Altos, Calif.) blocked one shot.
- Amherst saw four of its five starters can double digits and was anchored by an 18 point effort from Grant Robinson, who went 7-for-12 on the day with nine assists and three rebounds.
- Michael Riopel followed with 15 going 3-for-5 from downtown, Eric Sellew joined with a double double of 14 points and 15 board, while Johnny McCarthy drained 10 points with three steals and CJ Bachman registered the lone block for Amherst.
- Fru Che also tallied double digits for Amherst with 10 points and three rebounds.
- Emerson shot 32.8% on the day (19-58) with a 25.8% beyond the three point line (8-31) and shot a proficient percentage of 76.0% (19-25) on the charity stripe.
- Amherst finished 30-for-58 (51.7%) from the field and canned 6-of-20 from beyond the arc (30.0%) with a 80.0% on the free throw line (12-15).
- The Mammoths out rebounded the Lions (41-31) and held the 16-8 edge in assists, along with 36 points in the paint to Emerson's 18 and holding the 19-8 advantage in bench points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson held a four point lead over Amherst (9-5) behind a triple from Sheng at 16:56 before the Mammoths held the Lions scoreless through the next three minutes to gain the 19-9 lead.
- Amherst maintained a steady 12 point cushion over Emerson on jumpers from Bachman and Che (28-14), a bucket from Sheng at 9:14 kickstarted a 10-2 spurt to push the Lions within four (30-26).
- With 3:51 remaining in the opening half, the visitors extended its lead back into double figures at 13 after Eric Sellew sank both free throw shots and ballooned the Mammoths lead to 38-26.
- Amherst claimed its biggest lead of the half at 14 (42-28) with 3:09 on the clock on a triple from Robinson.
- The Lions tacked on five points starting at the 2:10 mark to wither the Mammoth's lead down to nine after a trey from Holding with the score at 42-33 to close out the half.
- Amherst commanded the opening of the second frame holding a dominant 18 point advantage at the 13:30 mark after a jumper from Riopel.
- The visitors held the 63-46 lead with 10:06 on the clock before Gray cashed in the first four points of Emerson's 10-2 streak to close the gap at nine (65-56) and kept within nine at 70-61 on a triple from Sheng with 3:56 to play.
- Nine was the closest Emerson would come to the visitors as the Mammoths canned nine points to put the final score at 78-65.
- Emerson closes out 2017 at home on Wednesday, December 6 and will host Tufts in a non conference meeting at 7:30 p.m.
- Amherst returns home to welcome Anna Maria on Tuesday, December 5 for a 7:00 p.m. tip-off.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS