Score: Babson 5, Emerson 2
Pitching Decision: W - Edward Lehr (1-2) ; L - Cal Laird (1-4)
Records: Emerson Lions (8-21, 1-16 NEWMAC) ; Babson Beavers (18-13, 12-5 NEWMAC)
Location: Brockton, Mass. (Campanelli Stadium)
Date: April 24, 2017
The Lead: In the Emerson baseball team's final game of 2017 on Monday night, the Lions were bested by the visiting Babson Beavers, 5-2, in both teams' final NEWMAC regular season matchup. Prior to tonight's game, Emerson recognized its six seniors, including Mitch Moormann (Hollywood, Fl.), Kyle Becker (Jericho, N.Y.), Danny Johnson (Mashpee, Mass.), Connor Damiano (Randolph, N.J.), Clint Fontanella (Pelham, N.H.) and Cal Laird (Willowbrook, Ill.), who suited up in a Lions uniform one last time and honored them for their hard work and commitment to the baseball program through their collegiate careers.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Babson scratched the first run across in the bottom of the first as Ryan Arena rocketed an RBI single down the left field line to drive in Jack Halpin to put the Beavers up 1-0.
- Within the top of the fourth, the Beavers pulled ahead 2-0 on an RBI single from David Lennon.
- Becker led off the inning with a double that reached the left field wall and later made his way home to inch Emerson within one at 2-1 on a wild pitch.
- After two scoreless innings, Connor Gill stole third and successfully crossed home on a throwing error by the catcher to push Babson's lead to a pair at 3-1 in the top of the seventh.
- Babson added a pair of runs within to begin the eighth frame on a Mark Webber's RBI sacrifice fly made its way into left and a miscue by the catcher with the score at 5-1.
- The Lions were able to earn a run back on Johnson's infield RBI single to the pitcher to plate junior Tim Quitadamo (Worcester, Mass.) for the final Lions run within the eighth inning.
- Fontanella notched a single off reliever Matt Cueno to start off Emerson's bottom of the ninth, but Cueno was able to send the Lions back to the dugout in order on a pair of punch outs and a foul ball fly out to third.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Quitadamo paced Emerson in the batter's box and finished 2-for-3 with a double and run scored, while Johnson notched one RBI.
- Laird completed a 5.1 innings on the mound for the Lions where he allowed a pair of Babson runs to plate on eight hits and struck out three.
- Halpin powered out a 3-for-5 effort at the plate for Babson with a double and one run scored.
- Lehr earned his first win of the season in a two run, five hit outing where he walked one and struck out five through seven innings, while Ken Rotunno gave up one hit and fanned one batter and Cuneo recorded his sixth save as he surrendered one hit and struck out two.
- Emerson's 2017 campaign has come to a close.
- Babson heads into the NEWMAC Tournament as the No. 2 seed to host No. 3 Wheaton for a first-round pair of games starting at 12:00 p.m. on Saturday, April 29 and a possible doubleheader on Sunday starting at 1:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS