Score: Gordon 10, Emerson 7
Pitching Decision: W - Noah Henkell (1-1) ; L - Sam Knox (2-3) ; S - Morgan Hyde (1)
Record: Emerson Lions (8-16) ; Gordon Fighting Scots (7-16)
Location: Wenham, Mass. (J. Tec White Field)
Date: April 19, 2017
The Lead: In non conference baseball against Gordon on Wednesday afternoon, the Emerson baseball shouldered a 10-7 loss to the Fighting Scots.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Within the second and third frames, both Emerson and Gordon crossed home four times to put the game in a 4-all lock.
- Emerson jumped out to the 2-0 lead in its half of the second on sophomore CJ Rogers' (Guilford, Conn.) RBI single into left and junior Tim Quitadamo's (Worcester, Mass.) sacrifice fly into center.
- Gordon answered with a run of its own in the bottom half of the inning as Matt Paulsen made his way home on a miscue at second.
- The Lions plated two more times in the third thanks to a pair of RBI singles from senior Clint Fontanella (Pelham, N.H.) and sophomore Ethan Young (Amherst, Mass.) to give them the 4-1 lead before the Fighting Scots tacked on the tying runs from Paulsen's single to left and a double into left center by John Lagerfeldt.
- Christian Hodge smacked an RBI single into left to put the go-ahead run on the board in Gordon's half of the fourth to put the Fighting Scots up 5-4.
- Emerson crossed a run in each of the sixth and seventh innings and one in the ninth to keep themselves in reach of Gordon, but the Fighting Scots built onto its lead with five runs through the sixth to eighth frames.
- A sacrifice fly from senior Mitch Moormann (Hollywood, Fl.) made its way into right to knot the score at 5-all in the sixth.
- After Matt Moffat made his way home for Gordon's sixth run on wild pitch, Hodge flew sent a fly ball into center to plate the seventh run for the hosts.
- Fontanella notched his second RBI of the game on single into the right center gap to close Emerson within one at 7-6. in the top of the seventh.
- Back-to-back singles from Dean Demers and Addison Tarr pushed Gordon's lead to a pair at 9-6 within the seventh frame.
- Paulsen plated the 10th Gordon runs in the home half of the eighth inning after he reached on a fielder's choice that allowed Hyde to cross.
- Emerson gave themselves life in the top of the ninth as Quitadamo plated Young on a two-out infield single to short to bring the score to 10-7, yet Hyde entered to face one final Lions batter and concluded the game with a tapper to the shortstop.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Johnson and Fontanella each finished 2-for-5 at the plate, while Johnson had crossed two runs scored and stole one base and Fontanella notched two RBIs along with Quitadamo, who finished 1-for-2.
- Senior Connor Damiano (Randolph, N.J.) plated two runs and drew three walks.
- After a six inning effort from Knox, the freshman took the loss as he gave up nine hits and seven runs while he walked four and struck out one batter.
- Sophomore Tim Mainella (Dover, N.H.) concluded the final two innings where he allowed three runs to cross on three hits to match one walk and one strikeout.
- Paulsen was 2-for-5 in the batter's box for Gordon with one run scored and three RBIs.
- Matt Amore started the first three on the mound for the hosts and allowed four runs (three earned) on four hits while he walked four and struck out three.
- Henkell locked up the win with two innings pitched where he gave up two runs (one earned) on a single hit with one walk and two strikeouts.
- Hyde earned the save with .1 innings tossed and gave up one hit, but allowed zero runs to cross.
- Emerson steps back into conference play tomorrow, April 20, at MIT with the first pitch slated for 3:30 p.m.
- Gordon entertains Endicott in a CCC doubleheader on Friday starting at 2:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS