Game One Score: Emerson 4, Wentworth 3
Game Two Score: Emerson 8, Wentworth 2
Game One Pitching Decision: W- Sam Knox (2-0), L- Tyler Weninger (1-0)
Game Two Pitching Decision: W- Jack Fox (1-0), L- Robby Sheldon (0-1)
Records: Emerson Lions (7-2); Wentworth Leopards (7-3)
Location: Sanford, Fl. (Seminole City Complex)
Date: March 11, 2017
The Lead: The Emerson baseball team bats exploded in the final doubleheader of its spring trip as they locked up a sweep over the Wentworth Leopards on Saturday afternoon. The Lions registered a four-run fifth inning to grab the 4-3 comeback win in the first game. In the second game, Emerson grabbed the 8-2 win to finish out the day.
GAME ONE SCORE: Emerson 4, Wentworth 3
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Wentworth scratched all three of its runs within the bottom half of the fourth frame.
- After a wild pitch crossed the first Wentworth run, Jake Smith batted an RBI double down the left field line and he later plated the third Leopards run due to a misplayed fly ball in right to put the score at 3-0.
- Emerson played comeback ball in the top of the fifth and tacked on four runs to to put themselves in front at 4-3.
- The Leopards committed a costly throwing error by the second baseman at that allowed junior Nolan Megna (Buffalo, N.Y.) to reach first and he later plated the first Lions run on senior Danny Johnson's (Mashpee, Mass.) RBI single into right.
- Junior Tim Quitadamo (Worcester, Mass.) slipped a single through the right side to plated the next pair of runs to put the game into a 3-all lock.
- With two outs in the inning, junior Pablo Feldman (Mill Valley, Calif.) dropped the game-winning single into center and allowed Quitadamo to score from second to put Emerson in front, 4-3.
- Four runs is all the Lions would need as Knox closed out the final three innings and retired the Leopards in order in the seventh to seal the 4-3 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Quitadamo, Feldman, Johnson and seniors Mitch Moormann (Hollywood, Fl.) and Clint Fontanella (Pelham, N.H.) each recorded one hit for Emerson.
- Quitadamo paced the Lions with a pair of RBIs.
- Senior Cal Laird (Willowbrook, Ill.) pitched the first 3.2 innings and allowed three runs (two earned) with a walk and two strikeouts.
- Knox improved to 2-0 as he held Wentworth silent through the final 3.1 innings and surrendered two walks and whiffed two batters.
- Smith went 1-for-3 in the batter's box for Wentworth and finished 1-for-3 with a run scored and one RBI.
- Through seven innings, Weninger struck out four batters and walked one while he allowed four runs (two earned) on five hits.
GAME TWO SCORE: Emerson 8, Wentworth 2
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the bottom of the first, Emerson took an early 1-0 lead as Feldman reached on a fielder's choice to score Moormann.
- Wentworth answered in the top of the fourth with a Christian Ferri RBI single that snuck through the left side to square the score at 1-1.
- Within their halves third through fifth frames, Emerson crossed its final seven runs to give themselves a comfortable 8-2 lead.
- Four runs crossed within the third to bring the score to 5-1 and was highlighted by Megna's two-RBI triple into center
- Feldman's single into the left center gap drove in Emerson's next two runs in the fourth to bring the lead to 7-1 before Ferri batted a double into right center to cut the Lions lead to five at 7-2.
- With one out in the bottom of the fifth, sophomore CJ Rogers (Gulliford, Conn.) drove in Megna for the final Emerson run on an infield single to the pitcher.
- Fox ran into trouble as Wentworth loaded the bases with two outs on a trio of singles from Jimmy Tempte, Ross Golbiewski and Tim Elrick, but Fox escaped the inning and retired Dan Mitchell on strikes to conclude the top of sixth inning.
- The Leopards welcomed sophomore Anthony Pugliese (Massapequa, N.Y.) to the game as Matt Smith singled to begin the seventh, but Pugliese retired the next three batters in order to close out the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Megna went 2-for-4 in the batter's box and batted a double and triple with a pair of runs scored and two RBIs.
- Moormann finished a perfect 3-for-3 at the plate for Emerson with a double and three runs scored.
- Perry went 3-for-4 with a pair of runs scored, while Feldman plated three RBIs.
- Fox had a six inning outing for Emerson with five strikeouts and allowed two runs on eight hits.
- Pugliese pitched one scoreless relief inning and allowed one hit with one strikeout.
- Ferri led Wentworth at the plate and 2-for-3 with a double and two RBIs.
- Robby Sheldon started on the mound for Wentworth as he surrendered six runs on eight hits with a walk and strikeout through four innings, while Caleb Eaton and Nolan Pandolfi pitched a combined 1.1 relief innings with three hits, one run and two strikeouts.
- Emerson heads back onto the field on Sunday, March 19 and head to Eastern Nazarene for a 4:00 p.m. game.
- Wentworth is back in action against Mass Maritime on Wednesday, March 15 at 3:30 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS