Score: Emerson 10, New England College 0 (7 innings)
Records: Emerson Lions (5-1); New England College Pilgrims (0-6)
Location: Lakeland, Fla. (Chain of Lakes Stadium)
Date: March 9, 2017
The Lead: A six-run first inning by the Emerson baseball team propelled the Lions past the New England College Pilgrims, 10-0, as part of the RussMatt Central Florida Invitational on Thursday morning.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Senior Mitch Moormann (Hollywood, Fl.) powered the Emerson offense at the plate and finished 3-for-4 with three singles, two runs scored and an RBI.
- Senior Connor Damiano (Randolph, N.J.) finished 2-for-4 with three RBIs.
- Luis Atlies, Stanley Vargas and Evan Delaney each batted a pair of hits for New England with a double from Delaney.
- On the mound for Emerson was junior Henry Schwartz (Queens, N.Y.), who improved to 2-0 in an eight-hit scoreless outing through seven innings and surrendered a walk while he struck out three.
- Joseph Pascucci was tagged with the loss for New England and was tagged with seven runs (one earned) on six hits through 1.2 innings to match one walk and a strikeout.
- Robert Hutchins and Esdras Rojas pitched 4.1 relief innings with a combined four hits, three runs, one walk and three strikeouts.
- Emerson held the 10-8 hit advantage over New England.
- New England left 10 runners on the bases, while Emerson stranded six.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson crossed all 10 of their runs home within the first three innings and was kicked off by a six-run first frame.
- Damiano brought in the first two Lions runs on an RBI single before a mishap by the Pilgrims shortstop allowed two more runs to cross.
- Moormann capped off the inning with an RBI single that plated sophomore CJ Rogers (Guliford, Conn.) and senior Kyle Becker (Jericho, N.Y.) to push Emerson ahead, 6-0.
- Becker singled in the seventh Emerson run within the bottom of the second frame.
- Back-to-back RBI singles by junior Pablo Feldman (Mill Valley, Calif.) and Damiano put the score at 9-0.
- A grounder to the shortstop from junior Joey Jacobs (Concord, Mass.) allowed Feldman to cross the final Lions run and lock up the 10-0 win.
- Emerson takes on Wittenberg on Friday, March 10 at for an 9:00 a.m. contest.
- New England College embarks in doubleheader action against Plymouth State on Monday, March 13 starting at 4:00 p.m.
STAY LIVE WITH THE LIONS